Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Re: What meessage does this send?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do you have anything like that in Ozland?

The Flying Roos maybe?
Farting Roos is more apt.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
farting roos is more apt.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 10:23 PM

I'm not sure about 99%, Certainly anyone under 40 probably doesn't give a damn. If 617 squadron was a game on their phone, they might be interested.

I just hope the land isn't sold off for new housing for economic migrants.
I suppose that with the government's constant decimation of our armed forces, it is inevitable that not only personnel and hardware, properties will also have to be sold off.

The root cause of all of this is the questionable need to reduce the size of our armed forces.

If the government were to agree to accept that this country is no longer the 'world's policeman' and that we no longer have the means to involve ourselves in trouble spots all over the world, we could manage with the low level of armed forces we presently have.

We may still have the ability to defend our own country against all but the most determined superpower (America, Russia and China), but that is all.

As I have said before, I think our best course of action would be to take the same position as Switzerland and stop pretending to be a world power.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 10:51 PM

emus perhaps?? - in fact a very quiet secret in fact is that there are test flying exercises - internationally hosted by OZ - very sinister and significant in view of world events!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 11:02 PM

https://www.airforce.gov.au/exercises/pitch-black
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

28-07-2018, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I suppose that with the government's constant decimation of our armed forces, it is inevitable that not only personnel and hardware, properties will also have to be sold off.

The root cause of all of this is the questionable need to reduce the size of our armed forces.

If the government were to agree to accept that this country is no longer the 'world's policeman' and that we no longer have the means to involve ourselves in trouble spots all over the world, we could manage with the low level of armed forces we presently have.

We may still have the ability to defend our own country against all but the most determined superpower (America, Russia and China), but that is all.

As I have said before, I think our best course of action would be to take the same position as Switzerland and stop pretending to be a world power.
oh yes - defending against russian nerve gas - good try on that one!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2018, 09:18 PM

I go to many Air Shows, there is always a sense of something great, that ain't coming back, the book is closing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I agree JBR

Britain stopped being a significant power many years ago. We are also not a rich Country any more.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 10:21 AM

I'm not sure that these fly pasts are very cost effective.

If they were, maybe we should have Royal Navy "Sail Pasts" as well. Even if there is only one ship left.

Or, maybe, Merchant Navy sail pasts, even though all the ships are now registered in foreign countries.

How about Army "March Pasts".

After all, all of the above were in it back in the day.

Perhaps we could make a fortune?

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 11:59 AM

Actually the Red Arrows, and other aircraft for that matter, do pull in the crowds at air shows for example.

Not only that, I think they demonstrate to the world that, although we may not have many aeroplanes (and ships and land forces for that matter) we still have the best skills in the world.

If we had more money, and a government that could see any sense at all, we could still have very effective armed forces on a world stage. Perhaps we couldn't compete in numbers with the world's superpowers, but we could still punch above our weight.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top