Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Re: Recycling

Bruce, is the Green Bin collected by helicopter?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:25 AM

FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:03 AM

We have a similar system. The household and plastic and cans waste goes one Saturday. Then cardboard/paper and food/garden waste goes on an alternate Saturday.. with the glass box going occasionally. Sometimes they don’t make it on Saturday. So they come on the Sunday!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:21 AM

Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 10:22 AM

We have those automated bin lorries.

You have to put your bins in a line on the left of the road. If you live up a lane you have to wheel your bin to the collection point. Most cars have a tow bar for this reason

This past month we were issued food/garden waste bins. Too small for our garden waste but ideal for the chicken waste. Saves us a trip to the recycling centre

Our council is very good with recycling and even if they don’t accept certain things like tetra packs in the roadside collection, they do at the recycling centre
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My little collection of Darleks...

Look at my shiny new green waste bin, my old one split so the council replaced it.

Yellow bin is for recycling while red is for rubbish. However I only put the red bin out every few weeks because I generate very little rubbish. This is a typical week's worth.

My only bugbear is that you cannot put soft plastic in the recycle bin so I collect it separately and put it in the supermarket recycle bin when I have a bag full. I understand they do collect soft plastic in the UK because my brother kept putting it in my recycle bin and I had to fish it out.
So you too have by far the smallest bin for non-recyclable waste. Like you, we put everything recyclable in the appropriate bins, yet our (smallest) non-recyclable waste bin - collected fortnightly - is always full to overflowing.

I find it interesting that you feel the need to collect soft plastic items and take them to the supermarket recycling bin. We, and I assume you, pay the local council for collecting waste, including soft plastics. Shouldn't your local council then collect them?

If the supermarket can recycle soft plastics, why can't the council?
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 02:10 PM

We have a weekly rubbish and recycling collection.
Rubbish is put in plastic bags which the householder provides and wildlife rips apart.
Our two recycling boxes are one for paper and card and one for plastics and glass. They have no lids so contents are liable to get very wer.

There is a green waste bin collection but the annual charge is high so many have bonfires instead.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
We have a weekly rubbish and recycling collection.
Rubbish is put in plastic bags which the householder provides and wildlife rips apart.
Our two recycling boxes are one for paper and card and one for plastics and glass. They have no lids so contents are liable to get very wer.

There is a green waste bin collection but the annual charge is high so many have bonfires instead.
OMG! Yes. I remember that now when I lived in London! You couldn’t put your rubbish sacks out the night before. Because the foxes would ALWAYS get to them first!
We just don’t get foxes up here in Scotland!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So you too have by far the smallest bin for non-recyclable waste. Like you, we put everything recyclable in the appropriate bins, yet our (smallest) non-recyclable waste bin - collected fortnightly - is always full to overflowing.

I find it interesting that you feel the need to collect soft plastic items and take them to the supermarket recycling bin. We, and I assume you, pay the local council for collecting waste, including soft plastics. Shouldn't your local council then collect them?

If the supermarket can recycle soft plastics, why can't the council?
I could put the soft plastics in the rubbish bin and the council will happily collect it. Recycling is in it's infancy here, it is not that long ago everything went to landfill. To be honest I could put all my waste in my current red bin each week and not bother with recycling at all - there is no penalty.

The council offera smaller or a bigger red bin but I definitely don't need a bigger one and my rates are not reduced enough (in my opinion) to get the smaller 80 litre bin (that one in the photo is 120 Litre).

I put the green bin out about once or twice a year because I don't collect grass clippings and food scraps are composted (they would go in the red bin otherwise).

The red rubbish bin is collected each week whereas the recycle and green waste bins are collected alternate weeks. ie one each week goes out with the red bin.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
I’ve lived down there for most of my life. I just moved up here 4 years ago.
A bit of a complicated story how it all happened! But here I am, presumably for the rest of my life.
Trossachs, lovely part of a lovely country.I grew up in the Braes of Angus.

The reason I asked is that we now live about 40 miles north of London. Moved here about 12 years ago. We have always had three bins. There are moves afoot to add a fourth for glass.

We had a holiday in your neck of the woods a couple of years ago.............tranquility.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top