Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 11:57 AM

DWP embarassment???

Apparently the DWP do not keep records of how many claimants they 'refer' to food banks. I wonder if this could be because they are embarassed by having to do so. Isn't the whole basis of the welfare benefit system to prevent poverty??? Are they not, by these referrals damaging the very system they are supposed to be administering???

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0b15aba9ebcc9
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Re: DWP embarassment???

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Apparently the DWP do not keep records of how many claimants they 'refer' to food banks. I wonder if this could be because they are embarassed by having to do so. Isn't the whole basis of the welfare benefit system to prevent poverty??? Are they not, by these referrals damaging the very system they are supposed to be administering???

No, I think they are adding to it.

They're currently dishing out dosh and now free food as well.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 08:20 PM

I've just come across this article and I think its a bloody scandal and there should be hell to pay. So basically no one really knows how the system is failing our vulnerable.

Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 08:39 PM

A scandal and a disgrace.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
No, I think they are adding to it.

They're currently dishing out dosh and now free food as well.

Shows the level of incompetence in the DWP!!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

09-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I've just come across this article and I think its a bloody scandal and there should be hell to pay. So basically no one really knows how the system is failing our vulnerable.

See 'DWP Embarassment' in the Political thread, on this same subject which I posted Yesterday morning!!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 09:57 PM

Ah the old "Foodbank" political schtick. Same old kidology as the Looney Labour "Homelessness" schtick.

So they're asking Jobcentres not to record their "signpostings". The vast majority of clients however are "referred" by various designated bodies including the NHS, CAB, doctors and the like.

Here's a thing.

A great many of Britain's so-called "homeless" who are 100% NOT homeless are playing the foodbank system for all it's worth.

The system is generally supposed to work via postcode areas. If a client gets a referral (voucher for a foodbank) then they are supposed to use a specific foodbank which is in the postcode area in which they reside. The referral slip designates that foodbank.

The many clients playing the system get referrals from different places and use different names and addresses in order to get vouchers for different foodbanks i.e. different postcode areas. They know exactly how the system works, and exploit its weaknesses to get repeated food parcels where really they shouldn't.

If you were recording all these referrals then the stats would be greatly over-inflated.

Some of the foodbanks are savvy to this and use computer databases to record people's details and co-operate with other foodbanks to try and stamp out the rife exploitation.

On the whole though these foodbanks are very often old people running a pretty dated service in a war on want, "Dad's Army" style. They record stuff with pen and paper and most would be clueless as to what a smart phone is.

If there is going to be any statistical data collected regarding foodbanks then it need to be done BY the foodbanks, NOT by the people issuing the referrals. That's just common sense.
The foodbanks are where the transaction occurs.

Then, if you ARE going to record data there, it needs to have the capability to centralise all the names and addresses from ALL foodbanks with some kind of intelligent reporting built in to eradicate all the duplicate and fraudulent referrals.

That really doesn't exist just now. So if you collected stats from foodbanks you'd get inflated numbers.

Doubtless Looney Labour would love that !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 10:14 PM

Are you purporting the use of AI in foodbanks?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Are you purporting the use of AI in foodbanks?
Nope. Just simple computer data management using a national centralised database and a reasonable amount of checks and balances to eradicate the erroneous entries and duplication.

Unfortunately it doesn't currently exist and foodbanks can't generally afford IT.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 10:24 PM

That is the thin edge of the wedge, maybe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top