Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 09:18 PM

Going into a home

This is not something we want to do, But all this hype about care in the community is not working.My S I L has been unable to walk since last Dec,,She spends her time in one room,her family have made it as nice as they can & she has a tele & radio there ,my nephew works & the rest of her family dont live near, so she is alone most of the day,she has carers come in 3 times a day ,to wash /dress & give her b/fast/later in the afternoon & to put her to bed about 8 pm, this costs her nearly £1000 a week now her money is running out & shes not sure what she will be entitled to on the 'social'.The strain of seeing to his Mum before & after work, cooking for them both & taking it up to her is telling on my nephew & her family are looking for a good home for her to go into
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Re: Going into a home

Well Deylon, let me tell you Social Services are a nightmare, it takes ages to get your loved one in a Home, if she is paying for the Home herself then they will get her in quickly, but if its a State one, you will be waiting for a quite a while. The Social worker will come down and access her, then will ask you loads of questions, the first thing they ask you is, how much money does she have? It took nearly a year to get my Mum into a Home because she didn't keep falling over and it took about 6 months to get my MIL in a Home who did keep falling over.

So good luck with that.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:22 AM

I hope they find somewhere nice for her Deylon. x
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Please let me drop dead walking the dog .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:25 AM

I would prefer to go into a good quality care home when I can no longer care for myself. My husband will have to go into a home when I feel it necessary. I would never in a million years wish to incommode our children with our care. As long as they have a watching brief that is all that is required.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:29 AM

I share your sentiment Tara .
I hope I will not burden my children with my care .
It's a daunting prospect though .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 09:13 AM

Well I've decided I will get a bed settee in the lounge , a commode under the stairs and live downstairs .

Although saying that , friend lynne has put mum into the most fabulous home it's a bupa one and like being in a top hotel and she's so happy and cared for but it's extremely expensive , they sold mum's house to pay for it and estimate the money will run out in 5 yrs , the old girl is thriving so that's debatable bless her .

It's a sad situation when we get old isn't it , I hope I die before I get old
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Well I've decided I will get a bed settee in the lounge , a commode under the stairs and live downstairs .

Although saying that , friend lynne has put mum into the most fabulous home it's a bupa one and like being in a top hotel and she's so happy and cared for but it's extremely expensive , they sold mum's house to pay for it and estimate the money will run out in 5 yrs , the old girl is thriving so that's debatable bless her .

It's a sad situation when we get old isn't it , I hope I die before I get old
This is exactly the situation we are in with Mum. house sold, excellent care home where she is loved by all. She recently spent two nights in hospital and when she got back there was a steady stream of carers and cleaners popping in to say they were glad she was back as they missed her.

My OH has long said that if he develops a serious illness where he needs to be cared for he is going to shoot himself and I have no doubt that he will do this.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:35 AM

There is absolutely no possible way I'd ever consider going into a home for the infirm/elderly.

To me, that's about as terrifying a prospect as I can imagine.

I have, at my disposal, developed two methods to avoid that.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:35 PM

I'd rather be dead than spend years in a care home, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. As a diabetic I have the means to go on my own terms.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top