Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:01 AM

Re: Going Retro with Windows

Someone elsewhere suggested DBAN. But on reading up on it. Apparently DBAN won’t work on SSD drives!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:40 AM

I can't say for sure because I've never tried it but can't help feeling that putting XP on a new(ish) computer could lead to more difficulties than envisaged. How about the suggestion of getting a used older computer with reasonable specifications for the purpose? It might not cost all that much.
FridgeMagnet
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I can't say for sure because I've never tried it but can't help feeling that putting XP on a new(ish) computer could lead to more difficulties than envisaged. How about the suggestion of getting a used older computer with reasonable specifications for the purpose? It might not cost all that much.
Yes. Might just build another one with older components.
FridgeMagnet

31-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Ok. The ‘boring story so far. Yesterday in Stirling I bough a 2nd hand hard drive from the Cex shop, which, I assure you is a 2nd hand electronics shop. Not an ‘adult’ shop. Installed Windows XP on it and am now formatting the SSD hard drive. I will then attempt to install XP on it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
I currently run a Windows 10 laptop as well as an iPad Pro.
10 or so years ago I made a living with video editing and converting cine to video. As well as a thriving little desktop publishing business.
I recently dug out a load of relevant software that I used to use. As well as some pre Windows 7 hardware which is far to useful and sophisticated to just dump. Only problem is that there are no up to date drivers for the gear.
As I also have a well featured desktop PC as well. I have decided to install Windows XP Pro which I recently obtained a copy on eBay.
To elaborate. I have a brilliant Canon scanner that can scan negatives and transparencies as well as prints. But no recent drivers.
I have DTP and graphics software that would cost up to £400 each to replace.
And I will also be able to continue to use a favourite piece of kit. A Sony minidisc recorder. Which also has no modern drivers.
Feel free to respond but please keep any negative or derisive comments to yourself.
'Downgrading' to an earlier Windows installation sounds a good idea. I had an old Photoshop Elements and an old TurboCAD software which worked perfectly under XP but refuse to do so under my new 'improved' Windows 10, and I have had to buy new.

Unfortunately, I see a problem with 'downgrading'. An earlier laptop of mine ran Windows 7 and, when I took it out to check whether it was still working well, I found that when I wasn't looking(!) Microsoft had very helpfully 'upgraded' it to Windows 10, without my permission of course.

Could the dictatorial Microsoft do the same to a Windows XP installation, I wonder?
FridgeMagnet

31-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Would you believe it?!?
After successfully installing XP on a new hard drive. I downgraded the Windows 10 drive to drive ‘D’ then formatted it with the intention of using it as the ‘C’ drive again but with XP. But even after reformatting. When I rebooted the PC. Up came the message ’PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 10. ATTEMPTING TO REPAIR. PLEASE WAIT’
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I never had or wanted a mini disc recorder...it seemed to be a doomed product from the start.
I still have one, and I find it a very good and convenient means of recording music. Much smaller than a CD player and very much more reliable than those damned tape cassettes that always seemed to stretch or tangle up.

I still use it and it still works reliably.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-08-2018, 03:22 PM

Would you believe it?!?
After successfully installing XP on a new hard drive. I downgraded the Windows 10 drive to drive ‘D’ then formatted it with the intention of using it as the ‘C’ drive again but with XP. But even after reformatting. When I rebooted the PC. Up came the message ’PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 10. ATTEMPTING TO REPAIR. PLEASE WAIT’
I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 but, like most people, Microsoft dictated that I should use Windows 10. I'm afraid that, apart from some cosmetic changes which matter little to me, I can see no advantage over W7.

So what was the point, other than making my computer more controllable by Microsoft?

I would really like to see an OS which, once installed, makes no changes to my computer without my permission and gives me full control of it.
FridgeMagnet

31-08-2018, 04:28 PM

And yes. I still have a minidisc recorder. That’s one of the reasons why I’ve gone back to XP. So that I can still make more discs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-08-2018, 05:50 PM

And yes. I still have a minidisc recorder. That’s one of the reasons why I’ve gone back to XP. So that I can still make more discs.
I don't get it. I record directly on to the minidisc recorder.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top