Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 12:40 AM

How did you find getting a PC/online for the first time?

Hey All, I'm thinking about writing some basic guides for people getting online or a PC for the first time - and so wanted to pick you brains a bit

Specifically, was there anything that confused you more than anything else? Which bits do you think were important to know - and which not?

Were you most interested in getting online? Or doing things like word processing or uploading and printing photos from your camera?

Got any ideas of what basics you think would need to be covered for someone (over 50) getting their first PC or going online for the first time?

Thanks in advance!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 03:03 AM

Re: How did you find getting a PC/online for the first time?

Well, in my case it was a Mac, Azz. I'd heard they were more user friendly and less virus prone than PCs; also my friend who knew a little more than I did hated Windows and Microsoft. So, I went on line and read about the Macs that were available; then called their line and had a pleasant discussion with a rep. I explained I wanted a very simple machine with few bells and whistles: just e-mail, browsing, photos, etc; not interested in downloading movies or videos. no game playing capability or things like word processing or spreadsheets. So, he reccomended the e-Mac which I have been completely satisfied with. I'd say, look for a machine that has what you want and not loaded with a lot of stuff you'll never use Is this the sort of info you wanted?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 03:41 AM

Anything you think is relevant DM - it'll all help me get an idea of what people may go through when thinking about getting online or a pc for the first time
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Well we started with the ZX81! Going online for the first time was huge fun.
Maybe some FAQs would be helpful? People may not understand common abbreviations or expressions (ATM, IMO, Troll etc)
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 11:42 AM

I would think (though I may, of course, be quite wrong) tht anyone coming new to PCs and the wonderful world of the www now would be at the higher end of the age scale? Surely practically everyone who has been in employment in the last 10 years or so has been familiar with keyboard and internet?
So, it might be the next generation up from the Over Fifties - the high Seventies and the Eighties - who would be the newbies.

Best plan would be to supply them with a patient 12 year old but failing that, a back-to-basics, with the means of finding explanations for everything
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 11:16 PM

I think that pointing them to the feebies might be useful. Virus software etc, Open office, firefox with it's useful add ons, Picassa3 for pictures, Google Earth for the sheer wonder of it all.

The world is their lobster as me nan used to say
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 03:28 AM

Azz. I should qualify that "I went online"comment"; before I got my computer I had an iOpener, which was basically a little simple mini-computer with just the basics. Which is really all I wanted in a computer, plus photo capability. It was acting up and I knew I needed a better machine.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Setting up a new system is fairly easy today, XP will pick up and load in all the relevant drivers for you.

As FF has said, . . before you even think about connecting the modem get protection, . . here's a link for some freebies.

www.majorgeeks.com

Most of it's free, some you pay for, . . I have been using MaAfee Ant-Virus for 15 years now with no problems.

www.McAfee.com

I also use Spysweeper which now has combined virus protection too.

www.webroot.com

Remember dear friends, . . the moment you go on-line your home is an open door to the whole world if you're not protected.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 01:39 PM

I was a complete novice when I had my first computer about 6 years ago. I thought I would never 'get the hang of it'

With the help of my son and friends I gradually gained more confidence.

What I would have found very useful right at the start would have been a list/glossary of all the basic computer terms ..... it was like learning a new language.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Things new internet users need to know:
1. How to set up an e-mail account & use it
2. How to use a web browser such as Google
3. How to join social sites such as FaceBook & Twitter
4. What private information not to reveal online
5. How to setip security software to protect themselves & their computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top