Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Re: Hit by a virus

This seems quite often the case with infections. Some make such a mess of things that it becomes quicker and cleaner to format and start over. I keep a disk image for if things were to go absolutely toes up for any reason. That way it isn't necessary to format and reinstall. Just use the disk image to overwrite the bad system with a good one, complete with all programs installed and ready to use. That only takes about 20 minutes.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
This seems quite often the case with infections. Some make such a mess of things that it becomes quicker and cleaner to format and start over. I keep a disk image for if things were to go absolutely toes up for any reason. That way it isn't necessary to format and reinstall. Just use the disk image to overwrite the bad system with a good one, complete with all programs installed and ready to use. That only takes about 20 minutes.
Years ago there was a program called PC Tools, this was in the days before XP etc, . . it was great, fixed all sorts of problems and mirrored your HD as you say Mart, . . sadly it did'nt work with windows after Win95.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 07:05 PM

I'm using Acronis 10 with XP to make images. I found it also installed and worked on the Windows 7 release candidate, although I've read of others saying that the latest version of Acronis is needed for Windows 7.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 10:33 PM

As Azz pointed out, the Mac isn't prone to viruses. I did get a pop-up once telling me I had a virus, but I was suspicious and didn't open it; nothing ever happened. I guess it's better to be paranoid than infected!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-01-2010, 08:13 AM

That could have bee an attempt to breech security dandysmom. I believe there are a few viruses (or risks) around for Macs. I read these are often via the third party programs such as Flash or Adobe Reader, so these should always be kept up to date. For real viruses though, I believe Mac users have to be tricked into downloading and installing them, perhaps taking the form of the experience you had.

Tricking users is what many Windows viruses rely on as well but added to that is the way that some can sneak through without the user being aware of having done anything wrong. Drive-by malware is perhaps the greatest source of that.

The number of Windows viruses is huge of course, so the word 'some' is probably going to mean hundreds. However, the security programs available for Windows mostly protect against them silently in the background. Certainly not an area of a Windows computer that should be neglected but with that covered, Windows runs the installed programs very well. In that respect at least, there perhaps isn't too much difference between Mac and Windows computers. They will both do the job.

Phishing is maybe one of the biggest risks around these days. This problem is shared by users of both systems since it isn't to do with malware being on the computer. I think this will still happen mostly to Windows users though. Not because of computer vulnerability but purely because there are more Windows users than Mac users. Nobody can let their guard down on this one.

So, not many risks around for Mac users but still a need for care maybe. I'd say you did well not to click on that pop-up thinking that the Mac was totally invulnerable to attack. Perhaps some people would have done.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
So, not many risks around for Mac users but still a need for care maybe. I'd say you did well not to click on that pop-up thinking that the Mac was totally invulnerable to attack. Perhaps some people would have done.
The reason for this IMO mart is the vast number of PC users use MS Windows, making them the biggest targets for the hackers, Mac users are a minority so they're usually left alone, . . regarding Malware and viruses, . . incidentally, . . Spyware has superseded virus infections.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-01-2010, 08:52 AM

I think Mac users would say it's the structure of the OS that makes it less vulnerable. I don't know if that's true or not. I know there is no central Registry to mess up, which ends up being a great source of trouble in Windows if an infection does happen. As I understand it, each program is totally contained within its own directory.

Also, I think Macs run in a 'User' mode more than we do in Windows and maybe that helps them not be so vulnerable. Many Windows users run as 'Admin' all the time and protect the account like mad with various security programs. That's what I prefer to do on XP. I found running in a user account a bit of a trial.

If I was a hacker, breeching Mac security would be a good challenge. If hackers do feel that way yet still haven't made any inroads into the system, then maybe Macs are less vulnerable in nature.

Not that I'm a Mac user but that's just some thoughts about the system.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top