Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2010, 08:45 PM

Explorer

I haven't used IE or MS Explorer for ages, following previous security alerts, but I'd be interested to hear what Azz or other tchie folks make of this warning
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Re: Explorer

Completely agree with them - avoid IE at all costs!

I use www.opera.com - imo, it is the safest browser out there. Safer than firefox because to start getting firefox anywhere near as functional as Opera, you need to install 'plug-ins' - plug-ins which anyone can make, and what's the first thing Firefox tells you when installing a plug-in? Make sure you trust the person who made it! LOL

My second choice would be Google's Chrome browser
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2010, 11:59 PM

I'd love to try Opera, Azz, but it requires more than OSX 10.2.8 .....and even the Firefox 3 ...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2010, 12:20 AM

I haven't used IE as a main browser for years. It always has been thought more vulnerable than Opera or Firefox, partly because it supports ActiveX. This is a function that allows sites to download and install content onto the computer.

I'm not sure how much of a risk this latest flaw is. I think that sometimes, a user has to be quite unlucky to actually fall foul of a reported vulnerability.

IE being thought less secure isn't the reason I don't use it though. It's purely because I don't like it as much as Firefox.

I have tried Opera each time a new version is released. It is a good browser but I have always gone back to Firefox. Maybe just because I've been using it for such a long time now. Since it was called Pheonix (version 0.3) in fact.

It is the extensions that make it attractive to me. I've never had any problems with their security. I think providing you get extensions from the Mozilla site, then there isn't a risk.

Some people find it unnecessary to install extensions. Firefox will function without quite well without them. However, adding some will certainly make it better. Installing extensions is a quick task. I have 12 of them. I just can't get on with Opera for some reason.

Whatever browser is preferred, I'd say to always run it sandboxed. This makes browsing with any browser much safer.

About Sandboxie (the name broken down means sandbox IE):

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?F...AskedQuestions
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Anything associated with Microsoft is targeted by the world, this is because it's used by the vast majority of PC users, . . IE is full of holes IMO, you may recall all the warnings issued when IE ver 7 was released, . . my advice, . . bin the lot, I still keep IE ver 6 to get updates from MS but it's not my default browser, it runs in the background, if you click on "start" then click on "Set program access and defaults" you can nominate any browser or e-mail server you wish, tick the boxes you want to be the main ones and also tick the boxes to gain access to the likes of IE.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top