Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 06:54 PM

Home truths BBC

This was a very moving documentary on his abusive childhood by Ian Wright .
I thought it was very brave of him to go back over his early life .
And he explores the effects of childhood abuse on people’s lives
Extremely well done .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 09:49 PM

Re: Home truths BBC

I saw very little of the documentary so didn't get all the story about this. Although sometimes these are well known people to many it just surprises me at the appalling way they were treated, whoever they are.

There are not many people in my life that I would trust implicitly, not for reason of abuse but just the way things have been. My parents were two of these people I trusted and I just cannot imagine what it must be like not to receive the unconditional love and care from those who are closest to you, your parents. How anyone who has been abused can be so matter-of-fact about it all, as some are, is as surprising as the fact that often they have done very well in their lives, despite the appalling way they have been treated. Perhaps in some kind of way this spurs them on to achieve better things. Using their experiences as a way of putting the negativity behind them by reinforcing the present positives in their lives often seems to be how this works.

Not having seen the documentary in full I did read more on the link below, which others might also find interesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57000650
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 09:12 AM

I watched this on catch up a few days ago, and I found it desperately upsetting and was moved to tears by what Ian Wright went through at the hands of his cruel stepfather. How can people do this to a defenceless child? And to think that in those days emotional and psychological abuse was not even considered a crime. How many children were suffering like IW, with no one to turn to, no one to step in and protect them?

Yes, he was very brave to make this documentary, particularly to visit his childhood home, which holds so many terrible memories for him, and I like to think that the programme might have helped others to come to terms with their abusive childhoods.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 11:03 AM

I couldn't watch
To close to home having had a terrible stepmother who treated her step children with loathing.
Dad didn't know what went on when he was at work , he was a really lovely man, kind and gentle , she didn't treat him much better .
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I couldn't watch
To close to home having had a terrible stepmother who treated her step children with loathing.
Dad didn't know what went on when he was at work , he was a really lovely man, kind and gentle , she didn't treat him much better .
Meg I am so sorry to hear that, how awful for you. I hope your siblings were some comfort to you as a child. Hugs xx

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top