Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Re: Why we are fatter today

My husbands grandmother ate everything also and lived to be over 90. The biggest difference was that they exercised. They didn’t have all the same conveniences we have today and that makes a big difference. My grandmother in law used to walk up and down hills all day long; fetching water, picking berries, walked to the stores etc.,
People are more spoiled than they used to be.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 10:25 AM

When I was growing up we were not allowed to eat between meals , we were told 'If you're hungry wait for your dinner' and if we were thirsty 'There is water in the tap' none of this 'grazing' we see nowadays.
When I go shopping I marvel at the fat women sitting outside the coffee shops eating and drinking at 10am.
If I have my grandchildren this the no snack rule applies with the exception of a piece of fruit.

As children we walked almost everywhere too, there were no cars .

As a teenager, I used to worry about being thin. I wouldn't mind having my 18inch waist now
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I always agree to cookies Tabs
I supose my device is bunged up with them .
Cookies make you fat.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 11:08 AM

Another factor is that everywhere we go, there's a coffee shop or cafe selling cakes and snacks. It seems these days that if you wish to visit somewhere but it doesn't have a coffee shop, it's not worth going. In fact when you visit their websites, the cafe often takes pride of place over the reason for being there.

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice coffee and cake and no one is forcing me to eat it but it would be better if the temptation wasn't there.

I can also remember going into petrol stations and all they sold was fuel and car parts.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

As a teenager, I used to worry about being thin. I wouldn't mind having my 18inch waist now
As a teenager back in the 50s there was an advert for a Charles Atlas body building Course saying " if you are 9 stone weakling Dont let them kick sand in your face"

At 16 I weighed 9 stone 7 pounds so was not that upset but was a bit about the advert and it did dwell on my mind

60 years later my weight has gone up to 10 stone.

Nothing to do with exercise its down the amount of food you eat
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 11:15 AM

I blame the Americanisation of the UK's eating habits from the 1970's onwards:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...ened-1974.html

The UK's first McDonald's opened in November 1974 in Woolwich, London

Cheeseburgers cost 21p and a quarter pounder with cheese was 48p
Wimpey, a smaller restaurant burger outlet run by Lyons, was wiped out by the counter-service McD and its' huge but cheap oferings and now take-ways dominate.

Children in poor areas exposed to five times as many fast food takeaways

https://www.theguardian.com/inequali...food-takeaways

More than 400 schools in England have 20 or more takeaways nearby, data reveals, with the problem at its worst in London.

Public health experts have warned that heavy exposure of children to fast food outlets and increased consumption of high-fat nutrient-poor food leads to greater risk of childhood obesity, as well as heart disease and stroke in later life.

The number of fast food shops close to schools is increasing in all English regions, the Cedar data reveals, with growth highest in the north of England. In June 2014 the average English school had 2.3 takeaways within 400 metres. By September 2017 it had risen to 2.6.
Andwar
Bristol, UK.
Andwar is male  Andwar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Even though this is not the best written article, this article in The Guardian compares eating habits between the 1970's and today.

I do agree with him to an extent that sugar is a major contributor to obesity but todays food is more mass-produced than in the 1970's and there are many more 'mysterious' ingredients (as preservatives etc.) included which could be the cause of obesity.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Yes when we were children, our dinners consisted of:

Roast Beef dinner.
Huge Pork Chop with a Kidney.
Rabbit Stew.
All vegetables and Fruit.

Never had Chips at Home, my Nan used to cook Chips now and again.

But yes to NC, the plate size is much bigger now, we have got large plates and I am looking for new ones much smaller.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Andwar ->
Even though this is not the best written article, this article in The Guardian compares eating habits between the 1970's and today.

I do agree with him to an extent that sugar is a major contributor to obesity but todays food is more mass-produced than in the 1970's and there are many more 'mysterious' ingredients (as preservatives etc.) included which could be the cause of obesity.
Agree with the amount of "mystery"additives in foods nowadays....God knows what they're doing to our bodies over the long term...mind you I think we are reaping the ill effects already an it will get worse imo
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 12:43 PM

Weight gain is caused by not eating a balanced diet, eating too much sugary and fat foods and not getting enough exercise.
Deal with those three points and you will keep your weight to a sensible level.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top