Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 02:16 PM

Re: Are DVDs on the way out?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A DVD is merely a storage medium, nothing more.

The real question then is "are consumers likely to abandon totally the concept of storing content on some form storage media?"

I'd say NO.

But then I'm an older experienced member of society who sees the blatant con being perpetrated on naïve youngsters who pay handsomely for "events" rather than for actual "things" that can be held/kept.

Thus I don't pay anyone money to simply listen to a piece of music (excepting live concerts, performances etc).

I will only pay for an actual recording of music in whatever form. Something I can hold. Something I can actually own. Something I can re-use indefinitely and if I wish, pass onto someone else.

In the world of films and TV series, the DVD represents a storage medium on which I can hold a copy of the film. It is then mine to re-use as I see fit.

I don't mind at all if that medium changes to something newer, more modern but the criteria will always be that:

1) I own that media
2) I can use it indefinitely
3) I can own the software or device that will play the content

The greedy industry is hell bent on selling people "events" or intangible things. That's because "vapourware" as I call it, costs them nothing.

Take books for example.

We all loved the freedom of owning a book. Being able to pick it up at any time. Lend it to friends and so on.

Now many of us buy e-Books for use on e-Readers like Kindles and Kobo's. Here we don't have a physical thing, we simply have a software copy of a book which requires some form of other software application or device to read it.

Therein lies a problem. It's certainly not the same as a book. The book "file", e.g. for Amazon Kindles the *.azw file is a digitally encoded thing. It is wrapped up with something called DRM (Digital Rights Management) which stops you from giving it to someone else to use on their Kindle.

I don't agree with DRM for a number of reasons (none of which are to do with pirating content) and thus I use software to strip the DRM from any Amazon or other books I purchase. At that point they are MY books, which I can do as I please with.

All of which drivel serves to highlight that the discussion or debate is really more to do with Digital Rights Management rather than any specific storage medium like DVD's, CD's and so on.

I don't believe that society will ever "give up" their inherent right to own something and own it properly. Some may do, the naïve perhaps, but there will always be many switched on people who will insist on preserving their basic rights.

So whilst the DVD as a storage medium may disappear, there will always be some other storage medium taking its place and there will always be someone somewhere that can and will bust through and DRM nonsense.
I disagree: I think Blu Ray was the last physical format.

I've got all my music on a hard drive, in the cloud and elsewhere; I dislike physical things like the hard drive but have that for security.

Books, I haven't paid for for years and have over 1000 epubs with which I'm free to do what I want with.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 04:54 PM

I am happy with a mix really. There are certain books, music and films that I would download but would not necessarily want to keep them or view them again but others I would prefer to have hard copies.

I am just concerned that with J Lewis not restocking the players, will other shops follow suit until we can no longer buy them? Who would have thought that VHS videos would have been phased out within 20 years of being launched?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 08:46 PM

It's the way the "industry" wants to steer things Longdogs. They know that they can make immense profits out of selling essentially "nothing".

Take Spotify for instance. It is a service that streams music. It's basic functions are free but you can pay for a premium service. Streaming is just an "event". You are listening to music as it is broadcast but you are not being given anything tangible to hold onto. It's like going to the cinema or theatre. There you pay money for an "event", for one viewing of something. You come away with just a memory.

A CD is a physical asset that allows you to play over and over the content at any time now or in the future.

A DVD the same for films

People who pay significant monthly subscriptions for things like Sky, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc are buying "events". They pay to view a streamed bit of content and are left with nothing tangible.

In housing terms it's the equivalent of renting instead of paying for a mortgage and ultimately owning a valuable asset, the house. Renting is dead money, as is streaming content.

It difficult these days to buy a small CD player with radio for use in say the kitchen. Most devices now have a radio and a port for your iPod or Smart Phone. It will become increasingly difficult to buy CD players of any kind imo. However if we are to preserve our CD content then it's important to have one or more CD players for future proofing.

The same holds for all those film DVDs. You need a reliable player that will last for years.

The alternative is to pay for enormous home Media repositories capable of storing hundreds of films held as movie files and which you use a piece of software to play the films. Nothing at all wrong with that technology just so long as the film content you have is YOURS, i.e. unlocked, no DRM wrappers and equally as long as you will always have suitable software that will play it.

As much as the industry tries and tries, I personally will never fall for the "pay for an event and get nothing tangible" style of proposition. But each to their own as always.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 10:52 AM

You forgot about offline downloads. Much of my 256GB iPhone is full of Google Play Music downloads. Of course I pay £9.99 a month but it is worth it to discover new music.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-11-2018, 06:45 PM

With a 9.99 music/ video subscription it is possible to pay pretty much what you want. I'll only go down that route, though if there is a stellar box set or TV show to watch. I have so many recorded movies, though that is going to take me a while to get through them all. I do like Netflix though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
With a 9.99 music/ video subscription it is possible to pay pretty much what you want. I'll only go down that route, though if there is a stellar box set or TV show to watch. I have so many recorded movies, though that is going to take me a while to get through them all. I do like Netflix though.
We are really enjoying Netflicks at the moment. Have seen about ten newish films and three complete series. So far they have all been on free trial but even so, would still be worth the £5.99.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 06:47 PM

Still not sure what to do with my old 78s! And 8 tracks!

Remember these?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-11-2018, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
Still not sure what to do with my old 78s! And 8 tracks!

Remember these?

No but I do remember 8tracks. Probably the best sound we will ever get.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Do you think other retailers will follow their example and is it the beginning of the end for the DVD?
I hope not - there are about 2,000 of the little rascals in my hall!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do you think other retailers will follow their example and is it the beginning of the end for the DVD?
I think it is pretty clear that DVDs have reached their use by date, the Internet has ensured that. They will go the way of Datasets, Floppy disks, 78s etc.

Even mechanical hard disks are slowly being replaced with solid state devices.

My daughter asked be to send her some photos so I stuck them on a CD to post to her, she rang me and said she had nothing to play it on so I had to resend the photos on a Micro SD card.

I still have a couple of DVD players/burners including a USB one but I cannot remember the last time I used one to watch a movie.

Just the way of the world

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top