Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 11:40 AM

No need to go and live in Spain after all....

Weather: UK experiencing hotter days and 'tropical nights' - Met Office

And the bad news is......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46064266
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Re: No need to go and live in Spain after all....

I would have to disagree with that OGF.
Spain as more consistant weather an average of 16 to 17 degrees in the winter period.
Dryer air which is a blessing for people with dodgy lungs like myself because of the salt lakes that the UK does not have.

The UK is always damp because it is after all a island and will never change. It is also so unreliable weather wise it can change very quickly which once again is a pain in the ass for people like myself with the lung problems.

Its a pity Spain is in the EU and we are leaving..
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 12:19 PM

I'm all for the cold spells not being has cold and not lasting has long.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 12:22 PM

I heard this on the news this morning OGF. I know it's probably not the correct ting but I am just going to enjoy it as much as possible.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 12:22 PM

To illustrate just how mild temperatures have been between 2008 and 2017, the report says that a significant area inland from the UK coast had, on average, less than one day per year with temperatures below zero.
IIRC, in 1963 the temperature of whole of the UK was below zero for about 10 weeks .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I would have to disagree with that OGF.
Spain as more consistant weather an average of 16 to 17 degrees in the winter period.
Dryer air which is a blessing for people with dodgy lungs like myself because of the salt lakes that the UK does not have.

The UK is always damp because it is after all a island and will never change. It is also so unreliable weather wise it can change very quickly which once again is a pain in the ass for people like myself with the lung problems.

Its a pity Spain is in the EU and we are leaving..
I was being facetious Longfellow, I don't think the UK will ever compare to Spain weatherwise, and I'd much rather be swimming in the Med than the North Sea....Brrrrrrr...

I don't think it will make any difference coming out of the EU, I can't see Spain making it difficult for one of it's main groups of tourists. And there are plenty of visitors to Spain from non-EU countries...
Jeanster
UK
Jeanster is female 

02-11-2018, 01:17 PM

https://tinyurl.com/yb4y9rzl

It's difficult to imagine that only two hundred years ago, the River Thames would freeze over for months at a time and Frost Fairs were held on it?!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanster ->
https://tinyurl.com/yb4y9rzl

It's difficult to imagine that only two hundred years ago, the River Thames would freeze over for months at a time and Frost Fairs were held on it?!
Ah yes, I remember it well.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 04:19 PM

I often think of the people who would have been so very cold those who scraped a living and the intense cold along with no food , I'm grateful I wasn't alive then . I so hate being cold .

I think as time moved forward we will flood more and have to build on higher land .

It is a concerning thought for our grandchildren
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IIRC, in 1963 the temperature of whole of the UK was below zero for about 10 weeks .....
Aye, a boon for us kids (I was eight years old then), making proper igloos out of the snow to play in. Worst part was that all we boys only had short trousers in those days and had to use socks as gloves. Cold legs and hands - risking frostbite and chilblains. Worse for the girls though, at least our `extremities` were fairly secure. Happy days though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top