Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 02:46 AM

New Camera

Those of you who helped me chose a new second camera will recall I had settled on two relatively cheap compact cameras and had to decide which to get. Well, I finally decided not to decide so I bought both because each had distinct advantages over the other.

Anyway I have bought a Panasonic LX10 (left) and a TZ110, as you can see the LX10 is marginally smaller than the latter.

Sorry about the image quality but the photos were taken hand held using available light from a nearby window on a dull day and, as always, they have to be considerably reduced in size and quality to upload them to OFF.

There are some glaring differences to the Canon G16 first of which is the picture size the default size is 3:2 but I have changed the LX10 to 4:3 and left the TZ110 at 3:2 to see which I like best. I like the On/Off switch better than the Canon's button but I miss being able to playback shots without turning the camera on fully. The viewfinder in the TZ110 is just a repeat of the rear screen rather than an optical device and when you look into it the rear screen turns off.

They both use USB charging rather than a separate mains charger. I think you can buy specific chargers from eBay (I bought a spare battery for each) and I am a bit annoyed that they don't take the same battery.

I haven't had much chance to play with them yet. Will report back.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6430.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	7897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6432.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	7898  
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:40 PM

Re: New Camera

They look good Bruce, looking forward to seeing some photos from them as and when.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
They look good Bruce, looking forward to seeing some photos from them as and when.
I was going to take them out today to try the lenses out and generally play with them but it is overcast with low cloud (nice and warm 23° though)
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Madness!

But enjoy.

When I'm getting hands on with a new camera, I take it to bed, have the pdf manual open on my laptop ... and shoot things around the room, experimenting with different apertures, focal lengths and stuff. Try exposure bracketing effects with light though the window, and well try everything while constantly searching functions through the manual.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Congratulations on your purchases. I'm sure you'll get years of good usage.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-11-2018, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
When I'm getting hands on with a new camera, I take it to bed, have the pdf manual open on my laptop ... and shoot things around the room, experimenting with different apertures, focal lengths and stuff. Try exposure bracketing effects with light though the window, and well try everything while constantly searching functions through the manual.

Don't we all?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 12:03 AM

Bruce glad you decided at last enjoy using them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

08-11-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bruce glad you decided at last enjoy using them.
Yep, not much of a decision but I am happy with them both, they have different functions and advantages. My Canon will remain my workhorse but I am experimenting with the LX10 for its 4K video and low light capability and the TZ110 as a camera I keep in the car all the time - that type of thing.

They both suit me down to the ground, I don't belong to a camera club or do more than take happy snaps but I do like clear sharp images and, while these cameras are not as good as an SLR, they are pretty good and a damn sight less bulky; they fit in a pocket.

Excellent back up cameras which is what I wanted and at a very affordable price (obviously).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

08-11-2018, 06:32 AM

I have been messing about with the LX10 camera and am quite pleased with the lens. it only has a 3x zoom but look at this:

Full Frame

Here is an enlargement of just the centre of the shot

Even allowing for the degradation caused by having to reduce the quality to upload to this site I don't think anyone can complain about that.

Handheld (last) night scene (manual in one hand, camera in the other) Quite pleased but will get better.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010151.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7923   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010152.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	7924   Click image for larger version

Name:	181107 004 Test Night Scene.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	7925  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

08-11-2018, 06:55 AM

I should say that there some things I don't like, there doesn't seem to be anyway to turn off the digital zoom so it is always there but using the front ring to adjust it makes it easier to avoid. As mentioned I don't like the fact that you have to turn the camera on just to playback taken shots.

There was no mains battery charger with the camera just a USB charger and cord but I have ordered one from China for $14 but the battery is physically quite small (I bought a spare) so this camera might be like your mobile phone and need charging every night. I don't know that yet but the battery is half the size of the Canon battery which can last for days of shooting when I am travelling.

This camera doesn't have a view finder but it does have an adjustable screen so you can take selfies. I haven't got used to that yet and probably won't use it much.

There are two manuals - the basic (60+ pp) one (printed) was included in the box with the camera and deals with all the controls and features. There is also an advanced one which I have downloaded but haven't looked at yet (baby steps)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top