Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 04:39 PM

Re: Bovine TB

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
What about other animals, deer, foxes etc, they may not get TB but they roam too & could surely carry it, specially deer.

Yes they can all carry it, all mammals can contract and carry it

However foxes are regularly shot on farmland and cows are usually fenced in so deer aren't really a threat. It really needs close contact between animals, which is why double fencing is so important, noses cant touch

As far as I know I don't think it carries on shoes etc, as it has to be carried on droplets from sneezes. One animal sneezes on another or close by and the other animal breathes in the droplets
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Yes they can all carry it, all mammals can contract and carry it

However foxes are regularly shot on farmland and cows are usually fenced in so deer aren't really a threat. It really needs close contact between animals, which is why double fencing is so important, noses cant touch

As far as I know I don't think it carries on shoes etc, as it has to be carried on droplets from sneezes. One animal sneezes on another or close by and the other animal breathes in the droplets
I've seen deer in fields with cows, they can get into any one they want, they can jump high & push through vegetation. I have never seen a field boundary that was high enough to stop them.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I've seen deer in fields with cows, they can get into any one they want, they can jump high & push through vegetation. I have never seen a field boundary that was high enough to stop them.
There is always an exception to the rule

Deer herds are also managed, and culls are carried out, the old and the sick get picked off every year. Even the deer in Richmond park get culled
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 10:00 PM

I saw this and thought it interesting.

They are killing so many badgers, but in fact it seems that infected cows can infect the badgers as well as the other way round.

So if a cow has become infected from another contaminated cow sneezing for example, then the infected cows can pass TB on to the badgers.

Then the poor badgers get the blame and get murdered!

Have a look here:

" There is still some uncertainty surrounding bovine TB and the way it is transmitted, but it is mainly a respiratory disease, caught by breathing in the M. bovis bacteria that cause bovine TB.
This usually happens when animals are in close contact with each other, so animal density is a major factor in the transmission of M. bovis.
Bacteria released into the air through coughing and sneezing can spread the disease to uninfected animals.

Direct transmission can happen, eg through nose to nose contact. There is also evidence that indirect transmission is possible, eg through contact with saliva, urine, droppings, pus from abscesses, etc.
We know bovine TB is transmitted from cattle to cattle; from badgers to cattle and cattle to badgers; and badger to badger.
Mel15
Nowhere

18-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I saw this and thought it interesting.

They are killing so many badgers, but in fact it seems that infected cows can infect the badgers as well as the other way round.

So if a cow has become infected from another contaminated cow sneezing for example, then the infected cows can pass TB on to the badgers.

Then the poor badgers get the blame and get murdered!

Have a look here:

" There is still some uncertainty surrounding bovine TB and the way it is transmitted, but it is mainly a respiratory disease, caught by breathing in the M. bovis bacteria that cause bovine TB.
This usually happens when animals are in close contact with each other, so animal density is a major factor in the transmission of M. bovis.
Bacteria released into the air through coughing and sneezing can spread the disease to uninfected animals.

Direct transmission can happen, eg through nose to nose contact. There is also evidence that indirect transmission is possible, eg through contact with saliva, urine, droppings, pus from abscesses, etc.
We know bovine TB is transmitted from cattle to cattle; from badgers to cattle and cattle to badgers; and badger to badger.
We don't eat badgers

think about it, if we farmed and ate badgers, they would be as valuable to us as cows

The simple fact is, cows are our food. So we protect them

As I said earlier up the thread, we want to eat beef and drink milk, eat cheese etc, this is the price we have to pay
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I hope those committed the act of killing those poor creatures are feeling suitably chastened. But I see they are carrying on with the plan to exterminate them. Almost like they enjoy killing

I read the other day that the badger cull has been extended to 10 more areas now as well, Julie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-11-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
We don't eat badgers

think about it, if we farmed and ate badgers, they would be as valuable to us as cows

The simple fact is, cows are our food. So we protect them

As I said earlier up the thread, we want to eat beef and drink milk, eat cheese etc, this is the price we have to pay

Yes I take your point Missy.

I can't help feel for the 'clean' badgers that haven't even got any TB though.

It will be interesting to see what happens this winter when many cattle are moved into indoor winter quarters.
Will this increase the transfer of disease if so many are in close contact? Or will it decrease the disease as they will be kept away from badgers?
Mel15
Nowhere

18-11-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes I take your point Missy.

I can't help feel for the 'clean' badgers that haven't even got any TB though.

It will be interesting to see what happens this winter when many cattle are moved into indoor winter quarters.
Will this increase the transfer of disease if so many are in close contact? Or will it decrease the disease as they will be kept away from badgers?
Keeping cows in sheds, as they do in America ( never seeing daylight, feeling the sun etc ) protects them, increases milk production, cuts down disease etc

But we are animal lovers, and whilst we eat the beasts, we want to have the idea that they have lived an idyllic life out in the fields

The reality is, we cannot sustain beef farming outside without causalities and its the badgers who are going to get slaughtered

Until Joe Bloggs understands not only where his food comes from, but the decisions that have to be made to ensure his food is disease free , we have to shut up and put up

I hate to see any animal killed, yet I am a meat eater so Im really contradicting myself.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top