Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 12:35 AM

Cruelty to Blackpool Donkeys

I don't know if anyone saw this story about the 29 donkeys that were being beaten with lumps of wood, punched in the face, whipped, and kicked by their owner and her family?

They were 'Beach donkeys' at Blackpool, working all day carrying kids up and down the sands in the heat of this summer, then beaten every night when back at their owner's premises.

Fortunately, one day this appalling cruelty was captured on a neighbour's security cameras, and these loveless animals have been confiscated.
Two had to be put to sleep, but 27 were saved and now live at the Donkey Sanctuary.

The owner, a woman of 48, and her ex-boyfriend, plus the daughter of 18 were all founde guilty of animal cruelty.

The result?
They were ordered to pay £500 in costs, and banned from keeping animals for 3 piddlin' years!
The owner and her boyfriend also received a suspended 14 week jail sentence, and the daughter some unpaid community work.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/blackp...after-13605428

Sentences like this make my blood boil.

Banned for 3 years. Why not banned for life?
And why a 'suspended' sentence?

Thank God they were caught on camera abusing these animals. Sadly though, I do firmly believe people like those three, will not have a miracle personality change and will do the same again . . . and again.

I happen to love donkeys, have done since childhood.
I also support the Donkey Sanctuary, and have done for some time. I went there once, many years ago.
I am so glad these poor animals are now in safe hands.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Re: Cruelty to Blackpool Donkeys

Thanks for posting that Mups. What a terrible story. What I don't understand is why these people feel the need to do things like this. They should be locked away for life IMO.

Despite being plonked on a Blackpool donkey as a child, I have always considered the beach rides to be cruel and unnecessary. It is animal exploitation and the whole thing should be banned.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 01:35 PM

What a pathetic sentencing. I abhor animal cruelty and if it were down to me I'd dish out the same treatment to perpetrators that they dished out to the helpless animals, and if they need a volunteer to carry out the sentence.....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Horrid people, donkeys are so lovely!
I wish they'd been banned from keeping any animal for ever!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

Totally agree, Tess, it's is so wrong it is only a three year ban.

Why are animals considered so low in the eyes of the law, that such piddly sentences are passed on abusers time and time again?

As I said before, those sort of people will not have a miracle personality transplant will they, they will go on to again.
I'd put money on it.

In fact, do we really need beach donkeys nowadays?
Most kids when they get on, start kicking its ribs because they think that's what makes it go.
Imagine putting up with that all day and every day for months on end!

And what about the plight of the donkeys abroad that are ridden and worked to the bone by adults?
I'd best not start on that one.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Terrible cruelty.
You have to wonder what makes some people like that................
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 05:51 PM

What rotten people .
They want a good dose of cruelty themselves .
What useless judges .
Donkeys are sadly one of the most abused animals on earth but I once thought we were better than than that in the uk .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2018, 07:25 PM

The sentences these despicable people got is far to lenient.
I thought all beach donkey people were licensed & regularly inspected.
The donkeys on Weston beach are well looked after.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-11-2018, 12:05 AM

So many of these beautiful, gentle animals are worked to death abroad as well, never knowing what affection or care is like.

There is also an alarming trade now for their skins for Chinese medicine!
These poor creatures don't even have to be fed, it doesn't matter if they drop dead through starvation because it is only the skins needed.

See here:

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.u...-skin-and-milk
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-11-2018, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

Trouble is with these short bans Tess, is I am not convinced it is ever followed up. Are these people checked on unnannounced?

Where I used to live, I knew the dog warden. We both had a weakness for GSD's.
She told me of a dog she confiscated from a man who beat the dog if it stepped out it's bed. It was only allowed out to toilet.

This wretched animal's bed was flea infested. The dog was made to sit in it and put up with being bitten to death.

While this man was still banned for however long, the warden found out he had another dog. He got round it by saying it was his wife's dog. The ban only applied to him!!

Another case I heard of quite recently was a pervert who was sexually abusing mares!
He was also banned, but all the horsey people know full well he is keeping mares again, and they have reported him.

He has still got them though.
I dread to think what he does to them.

* Apologies, I have drifted off topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top