Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 08:40 PM

Disk Image

I've just had a software upgrade installed remotely and took the opportunity to ask for computer advice and was advised to take a disk image every month and I've had a free programme installed called Macrium which starts by taking a total disk image and in future months will just copy anything it hasn't already got.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 08:44 PM

Re: Disk Image

Always a good idea. I do a manual disk image every month using AOME.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 09:21 PM

What is the benefit of disk image. What does it do?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Makes money for Softies.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Always a good idea. I do a manual disk image every month using AOME.
I use EaseUS ToDo in the same way. Also make a disk image using Windows' own disk imaging function as further insurance.

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It backs up the entire working system into one (usually) file. If the system goes faulty at some future date, this file can be used to overwrite the faulty system and restore the computer to the working state it was in at the time the disk image was made.

It can save a lot of time if disaster strikes because there is no need to reinstall the operating system, reinstall programs or do any setting up. This is because all this will be stored within the disk image.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I use EaseUS ToDo in the same way. Also make a disk image using Windows' own disk imaging function as further insurance.

It backs up the entire working system into one (usually) file. If the system goes faulty at some future date, this file can be used to overwrite the faulty system and restore the computer to the working state it was in at the time the disk image was made.

It can save a lot of time if disaster strikes because there is no need to reinstall the operating system, reinstall programs or do any setting up. This is because all this will be stored within the disk image.
Thanks Mart I honestly didn't know what it was for.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Makes money for Softies.
The programs are free. If your hard drive goes belly up or gets damaged from a virus you will be glad of a disk image to transfer it to a new drive.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 10:19 PM

Just ordering a new external hard drive as my present 300 GB isn't considered big enough!!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 10:36 PM

A problem I have come across a fair bit is that, having made a disk image, some people may not know how to access and restore from it ..or may be worried about starting the procedure at all.

There might not be too much point in making a disk image if there isn't the knowledge of how to use it when the time comes ..unless you can get help from a friendly computer person who can do the procedure for you.

If making a disk image it's essential to make a start-up disk (or USB stick).

With most problems, it is possible to start a restoration from within the program that was used to make the disk image. Open the program, select the image you want to restore from and follow the instructions.

However, if the computer is so bad that the OS won't boot up, then the disk image program won't be accessible via Windows (because it won't start). That's when it's necessary to boot up using a previously made start-up disk or USB stick.

Even if a start-up disk/USB stick has been made, the way of booting up with it and then accessing the disk image in order to start the restoration procedure isn't always known.

I'd say if storing the working system within a disk image, find out how to restore from it both from within Windows and using start-up media. Best to get familiar with this before the date an image is ever needed.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

21-11-2018, 10:39 PM

Thanks for mentioning that -the free program I mentioned at the beginning of this threat - Macrium - appears to have a very simple restore procedure - but I'll get back in touch with the remote techie and make a note of instructions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top