Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Re: Fur Free Friday

I don't like leather but it's generally a by product of eating animals. Fur is no longer needed in our societies, we have man made material that does the job better.

It's not about rich people my nan had a fur she loved and was a housewife and cleaner all her life a wife to a farmer/groundsman so not rich at all. When we explained how that fur had been obtained she gave it a quiet dignified funeral in the back garden. People with any feeling for animals and their suffering will not accept fur.
Inuits live a different life different society to us. Would I like them to change ? yes I would but it's up to them to discover what works best for them and I like to think their fur is a by product of meat eating too.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't like leather but it's generally a by product of eating animals. Fur is no longer needed in our societies, we have man made material that does the job better.

It's not about rich people my nan had a fur she loved and was a housewife and cleaner all her life a wife to a farmer/groundsman so not rich at all. When we explained how that fur had been obtained she gave it a quiet dignified funeral in the back garden. People with any feeling for animals and their suffering will not accept fur.
Inuits live a different life different society to us. Would I like them to change ? yes I would but it's up to them to discover what works best for them and I like to think their fur is a by product of meat eating too.
Some animals are bread to produce eggs, others to produce wool, others to produce milk and some to produce fur, where will it stop? Ban wool prouction because there are alternatives, who needs eggs and milk anyway.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 08:03 PM

It's a common mis-conception that leather is a byproduct of meat. Most is not , as the hides are more valuable than the meat and a very profitable business.
China ,the world leader in exporting animal skins, slaughter about 2milllion cats and dogs each year to supply the industry.
To see the practical side of this , it is very ,very distressing.

Animals such as donkeys, elephants, horses and many more . In India , cows that they are not allowed to kill, so they starve and beat them until the animals are broken.

The fur farms breed the animals purely for their fur. 0ver 200 pelts of mink go into one mink coat ! It's a gruesome trade and the slaughter of them is not monitored in many case. String them up, foxes and all, electrocute them but most are not killed straight away and chucked in a truck where they squirm. This is in Poland.

We can close our eyes, but it won't take the pain or the suffering away.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Well I'm of the thought that we need to think again then,there are plenty of alternatives to leather and meat come to think of it.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 09:23 PM

Well I'm of the thought that we need to think again then,there are plenty of alternatives to leather and meat come to think of it.
It's a huge challenge, isn't it?

I doubt much will change in the next 25 yrs but to have some winter shoes made from something other than leather and/or plastics, would be another step forward in the right direction.

Maybe we should put a pair of galoshes over our slippers ! That's what they used to do

Just received this notification, so all is not lost !

Sotheby's has cancelled its planned sale of rhino horn items in Hong Kong next week, and will not sell such items in future. A huge thank you to everyone who contacted the auction house urging them to stop the sale. PEOPLE POWER WORKS! The announcement comes hot on the heels of Bonhams cancelling its sale of rhino horn items next week and all future sales, after calls from 35+ organisations, including ADI, in an initiative led by WildAid
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 02:32 AM

We could eat the celebrities after we have slaughtered them for their skin. That would solve several problems at once and make TV more watchable.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
We could eat the celebrities after we have slaughtered them for their skin. That would solve several problems at once and make TV more watchable.
You could start on the ones in your jungle at the moment Bruce, all captive in one place just save John Barrowmore I like him.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 10:41 AM

You could start on the ones in your jungle at the moment Bruce, all captive in one place just save John Barrowmore I like him.
Jungle? we don't have jungle. Rainforest perhaps?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Jungle? we don't have jungle. Rainforest perhaps?
Course you do I'm a celebrity get me out of here are there right now
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 12:26 AM

I like John Barrowman. More tasty than some of the others there.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top