Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 10:30 AM

Re: Socializing Dogs

LOL Bruce
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Both you and Max. He is just like our Casey but our first Newfie was a pack leader, she would discipline other dogs, to the untrained eye it looked like WWIII had broken out but she never drew blood and we were lucky at the time that in eight years we only ever met a handful of humans on our walks and so far as I can recall only three dogs.

Max doesn't get confrontational. He just does that intense collie stare. That's how they control sheep.

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Why is it embarrissing They are four legged dogs NOT two legged humans. Barking is how they communicate, there are allegedly 10 types of bark, there could be more. You can google it but frankly I don't think any humans will ever really know what they mean. I am only certain about the three (mid range) in a row which sort of means 'hey pack there's strangers about, be on your guard, pack leader to the front'

There are two scenarios where larger off lead dogs might be a problem.
First, if you are unfortunate to live in a large town or city where dog fight gangs operate then such dogs brainwashed and beaten by their owners will attack another dog, no use saying it's not the dogs fault 'tho of course it's the horrible human owners who are really at fault.

Second, you might come across an ex-police dog. We all marvel at how they work with the police to find criminals but usually ignore what happens when they retire, even if they are lucky enough to stay with their human 'handler' chances are they'll not loose the desire to bring a villian down.

There is a third scenario which most humans can't get their brain around which is when you have, (or your meet on a walk) a dog which has the 'pack leader' gene in droves and will not tolerate any dog wanting to be the leader and will discipline it. That means a lot of growling and maybe getting his or her jaws around the other dog. Apart from accidents (remember ears bleed easily) the 'dominant' dog will never break the skin

If you are going to succeed with your dogs the first thing you have to take on board is that dogs are NOT humans their brains work in a completely different way

You are doomed to failure if you attribute human emotions and reactions to dogs. If you are going to do that then it's best you don't have dogs around you at all.
Losos, Sorry, I'm only HUMAN! when I walked my two boys in the park where they have to be on the lead, as anyone came towards us with their own dog, it WAS embarrassing to have Ollie start barking his head off at them. Flynn, would then join in and I would have to walk off in a completely different direction with both of them looking behind and still barking at the other dog, who was usually so well behaved. Other dog owners would look at us with a look as if to say "what misbehaved dogs"!!

The thing that cured them was when HWMO and I entered the park, he would take Flynn off in one direction and I would take Ollie in another. I was flabbergasted to see that Ollie was not barking at approaching dogs, and neither was Flynn, but only when they were on their own. So we could only assume that Ollie, ,being the first born, was being pack leader and protecting his brother who was last born.

Then we slowly introduced them to other family dogs in their back gardens and they must have learned that other dogs were not an automatic threat and are now fine when being walked. No more barking thank goodness.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 12:05 PM

It is embarrassing to have dogs that don't behave in public I've had a few made me red faced and squirming with embarrassment myself. One our late Duncan was so excited to go out he'd scream ! All the neighbours would look out when we left the flats wondering why we couldn't stop him doing this ear splitting piercing scream ! We had trainers and behaviorists no one could stop him. My vet said it was similar to when a hunter was sent into a rabbit hole to kill, so it was a perfectly natural response to a Yorkshire terrier going to do something he was super excited about. Didn't help us stopping it but did explain why he did it.

Another was prone to barking only at black people I think we had a racist chihuahua which was very hard to explain and caused us quite a few looks that could kill when we were out and about.

And try walking a dog with such a friendly nature she had to say hello to every man she saw by sticking her nose deep where it wasn't wanted or one that humped anything standing still including the vicars wife's hand bag

Oh yes all normal behaviors I'm sure but all terribly embarrassing at the time.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Teach them to play poker its a very social game and they will get to make new friends.

Bruce, that is soooo cute
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It is embarrassing to have dogs that don't behave in public I've had a few made me red faced and squirming with embarrassment myself. One our late Duncan was so excited to go out he'd scream ! All the neighbours would look out when we left the flats wondering why we couldn't stop him doing this ear splitting piercing scream ! We had trainers and behaviorists no one could stop him. My vet said it was similar to when a hunter was sent into a rabbit hole to kill, so it was a perfectly natural response to a Yorkshire terrier going to do something he was super excited about. Didn't help us stopping it but did explain why he did it.

Another was prone to barking only at black people I think we had a racist chihuahua which was very hard to explain and caused us quite a few looks that could kill when we were out and about.

And try walking a dog with such a friendly nature she had to say hello to every man she saw by sticking her nose deep where it wasn't wanted or one that humped anything standing still including the vicars wife's hand bag

Oh yes all normal behaviors I'm sure but all terribly embarrassing at the time.
Julie, I know I shouldn't but that did make me laugh reading your post. You poor thing! Ollie is a bit of a screamer too. He can be lying in the front room and if he hears a noise in the back he will run through the house making the most awful, ear-splitting scream, his brother will then race after him barking normally. So glad to learn from you I now know why he does it - sheer excitement!!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 01:33 PM

Yes these are exactly the problems I having. Peaches and Diego both pulling like mad, barking their heads off trying to get to the other dogs. However if a loose dog especially a large one comes near them they are jumping up at me in a panic to be picked up and sometimes making a screaming noise.

I am apologising to owners who have their dogs on a lead who they bark at.
I am no way going to let my two off the lead till they are under better control.

I know my daughter did take Peaches somewhere for training and also they both went to dog creche sometimes.
Now I know they will be with me for a good while they will have to learn manners. Its a bit soon to leave them in the house alone yet so I cannot really take them to classes. I will sort this out somehow because they are lovely cute little dogs in the house but they do need to learn outdoors manners. They are only two years old this December 31st.

Another question sorry. Do you ever leave your dogs in the car for 15 minutes say while you get a couple of things from the supermarket. Is it safe to do this? What about them being stolen from the car?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 03:34 PM

MC, firstly when I said go and watch a training session by yourself at first, it was so that you could watch and learn what goes on, and talk freely to people there, without the distration of hanging on to yours while they are misbehaving.

Secondly, you wouldn't be able to take both together in the same class but ti doesn't mean you have to leave one at home on its own. All we used to do was tie whoever wasn't training to a nearby radiator, or some fixture, or even ask someone if they mind holding one for you, then you can keep an eye on him while you work the other one.

As I said, one on its own with you is more likely to listen to you, but two together will only copy each other.

My personal view of leaving dogs in cars (assuming the sun is not on the car) is I have done it if I am in the shop and can see them from the window.
I do not leave them locked up in a car park where I cannot see them.

As for dog thefts - unfortunately this is a rapidly growing "business," mainly because dogs cost more than the fine's they have to pay, so it is well worth the risk to the criminal.
This will continue to get worse until dogs are seen as more than just "inanimate objects" in the eyes of the law.

The current statistics are that there are more than 60 dogs stolen every week in England & Wales and fewer than 5% ever lead to a conviction.

I read of cases where dog walkers (usually women or the elderly) are stopped in quiet places, and their dogs snatched from them in public, and this is a growing menace.

As you will know, there is so much to think about when you decide to take on another life to look after.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As you will know, there is so much to think about when you decide to take on another life to look after.
Yes, it is serious commitment.Or should be. I don't think all dog owners realise that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-11-2018, 03:49 PM

I used to leave mine in the car for a few minutes in the shade with window open a bit if it was cool enough. I never do it now because too many numpties like to break in and claim they are saving the dog no matter how safe the dog actually is.

I have no time for anyone leaving a dog in heat but it's crazy how people react even in cold weather now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top