Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Re: New Windows 10 HP Laptop

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Bought on 30 December 2017. Hard Disk failure about two weeks ago so sent back to Currys who have sent it to HP for replacement hard disk under warranty.

Just had a call from them to say the case has been damaged which has negated my warranty. It will cost £50 to repair the case and £100 for a new hard disk.

It certainly hasn't been damaged by me and the shop which serviced it recently and told me the hard disk had failed, assured me they hadn't opened the case..........

Is this a ploy by HP to wriggle out of a warranty claim? Any advice?
We have had problems with Curry's too. My dear wife's tower stopped working. They charged £60 to get it looked at.

When we got it back, there was still dust on the case. It was obvious that it hadn't even been opened. Can't be repaired they claimed. We did get our £60 back.

I took a look at it myself. A small tantalum capacitor on the power supply had obviously failed. Clearly visible physical damage. Replaced the component - They cost just a few pence. Machine back up and running.

Needless to say I am not their biggest fan....
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Very few places have the necessary knowledge to repair computers, they just sell them.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Very few places have the necessary knowledge to repair computers, they just sell them.
Yes, I'm aware of that. What irked me is they supposedly sent it to the repair shop who didn't even look at it.

The only way I can explain that is that it was a ploy to get us to buy a new one.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 07:17 PM

Curry,s did the same with sue,s laptop ,noisy fan so changed hard drive and lost original with info on it, then when complained. Discovered it was a noisy fan anyway . Never ever let this company do any repairs they are hopeless. Sue now books in to Apple store in Brighton for any repairs. I rep!aced the touchpad a lot cheaper then anywhere else,dead easy to do
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Youtube video how to:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=650mXGa-kDY

Cost can be about £30
I'm wondering if I can do this myself!!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:40 PM

FURTHER UPDATE - phone call from Curry's to say the laptop has now been received by them. The damage is apparently a hairline fracture on the side (so small it would not have been noticed by staff when sent in for repair!!!!...... and which is deemed to be responsible for damaging the hard drive!!
Foregone conclusion really!
Lindy...this unseeable hairline fracture....if it's 'not noticeable' and takes a team of 'experts' [oh,hahaha] to find it...two things come to mind.

1/WHY were the 'experts' so intent on finding tiny hairline cracks,rather than simply replacing a cheap HDD {cheap to them,I mean}
2/ If this crack is so tiny,yet so figurative in the HDD being now unuseable...HOW do they know it wasn't 'damaged in transit'??? If they say "It's too small to be noticed by our staff'',then what they're ACTUALLY saying is ''Our sales staff are morons''. If,on the other hand,they say ''This tiny,un-seeable hairline crack caused the HDD to fail BECAUSE it's not noticeable by our sales staff'' ...then they're admitting those samec staff sold you a computer with a fault too tiny for them to notice!!! It's only because you recently moved it from the desk it live on from day one,that it suddenly stopped..RIGHT???!!!??? ....and anyway-it's within warranty-the case cracking shouldn't happen...it's too small to see,so you haven't dropped it...ergo,a manufacturing fault!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Lindy...this unseeable hairline fracture....if it's 'not noticeable' and takes a team of 'experts' [oh,hahaha] to find it...two things come to mind.

1/WHY were the 'experts' so intent on finding tiny hairline cracks,rather than simply replacing a cheap HDD {cheap to them,I mean}
2/ If this crack is so tiny,yet so figurative in the HDD being now unuseable...HOW do they know it wasn't 'damaged in transit'??? If they say "It's too small to be noticed by our staff'',then what they're ACTUALLY saying is ''Our sales staff are morons''. If,on the other hand,they say ''This tiny,un-seeable hairline crack caused the HDD to fail BECAUSE it's not noticeable by our sales staff'' ...then they're admitting those samec staff sold you a computer with a fault too tiny for them to notice!!! It's only because you recently moved it from the desk it live on from day one,that it suddenly stopped..RIGHT???!!!??? ....and anyway-it's within warranty-the case cracking shouldn't happen...it's too small to see,so you haven't dropped it...ergo,a manufacturing fault!
I like that! I like it a lot! No wonder the man at curry's didn't notice it.............I didn't notice it either when I bought it............and it's never worked properly!

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 02:59 AM

Squeaky wheel usually works, just pester them. Threaten them with the Ombudsman (presuming the UK has one) and the Office of Fair Trading. Keep at them, don't abuse them be firm but reasonable.

Never known it fail.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:14 AM

I like that! I like it a lot! No wonder the man at curry's didn't notice it.............I didn't notice it either when I bought it............and it's never worked properly!

Well,there's your reason,AND your 'out', Lindy.
It's never worked smoothly-yet has NO bumps,NO links,NO dents-and a tiny scratch that's SO small, only a team of 'EXPERTS' could spot it.....therefore,it was SOLD faulty.
because by their OWN ADMISSION,when quickly inspected [if it ever was] for sale to you, that tiny scratch is TOO SMALL for a mere salesperson to notice! GOTTEM! WELL done,Lindy!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

28-11-2018, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Squeaky wheel usually works, just pester them. Threaten them with the Ombudsman (presuming the UK has one) and the Office of Fair Trading. Keep at them, don't abuse them be firm but reasonable.

Never known it fail.
Bruce - What's Squeaky wheel? It's still a bit early for me here, so may be brain dead!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top