Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Re: My beloved dog has a tumour

Hi, LQ. I imagine this must be very hard on you. I am so sorry. The good news is that most tumors aren't malignant. Over the years, many of my dogs developed lumps and bumps that turned out to be nothing.

On the other hand, I have lost two dogs to cancer that started out as mast cell tumors, but they lived to be 15 and 17! The one who was 15 we caught early and after a few rounds of chemotherapy that gave her no side effects, she lived three more long and happy years! She actually liked chemo because it meant a stop for a burger or ice cream on the way home (McDonalds is good for something!), and we spoiled her unrelentingly once we knew about her prognosis.

The great thing about being a dog is that you don't worry about such things. You can still give your dog a long, happy, carefree life regardless of diagnosis.

All that said, I am so sorry that you are the one having to endure this worry and heartbreak. It shows how fortunate you all, dogs and people alike, are to have each other.

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 06:54 PM

So very sorry Lion Queen. I pray it’s fine and will send positive thoughts of your dog being healthy and well. Try not to stress too much.
Awwww.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 07:12 PM

LQ, I am so sorry to hear about your dog, but I had to tell you that anaesthetics, for animals, are now very safe. My own vet was telling me they now recover much faster and are probably treated even better than many humans.

I will keep my fingers crossed that it will be a benign tumour and you doggy will make a complete recovery.

Good luck!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 12:30 AM

I agree with Twink about anaesthetics are safer than they used to be, and coupled with this, the vets usually offer an optional pre-op blood test too, (especially to older patients).

This is an optional extra, so an additional charge unfortunately, but it checks things like liver and kidney function and I believe white blood cells etc, to make sure everything is as safe as possible before the anaesthetic.

I am surprised at the price you quoted Queenie.
My vet charges more than that for a tooth descale!

I am sure everything will be fine, and he will soon be home waiting for you to nurse him better.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 11:03 AM

It's a pity the biopsy can't be done while the dog is under anethesia then if it is bad news the dog can be allowed to go peacefully .

Sorry LQ euthanasia is not always the worst option it is in many ways a last act of love .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Even if it is bad news it may be possible to give her a bit longer pain free muddy. Our late Rosie chi had two operations and medication gave her an extra year, no pain no discomfort. She was actually happier than I'd seen her in a while.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Thinking of you and your furry friend today, Lion Queen. I hope the operation goes well.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Hope all goes well for your little dog today LQ ....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Yes. Thinking of you today Lion Queen.
Wishing the best results for your doggie.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 01:07 PM

LQ, I was sorry to read about your dog. I hope you have had reassuring news.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top