Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 04:16 PM

Dust on Camera Sensor

Can anyone give a little advice please we have a Canon 400D diigtal SLR which came with a 18-55 lens so we thought because we had heard of problems with dust on sensors we would buy a 18-200 lens so we wouldn't have to keep changing the lens and by doing so we would cut down the risk of dust on the sensor well we have a small black spot on our piccies the lens has been cleaned we have swopped back to the 18-55 and still it is there so now we were wondering what is the best way to rid ourselves of this problem would it be best to send the camera away to have it cleaned or buy something to do it ourselves so any advice will be greatly recieved ...
You wouldn't believe how careful we have been with this camera and it's lenses it really is annoying....
Thanks Sue
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Re: Dust on Camera Sensor

Don't try and wipe it off Suey, either get a blower brush or have it done professionally, don't touch the sensor with the blower brush hairs either.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks Nero I have just googled it (sensor cleaning DSLR) and there is a product called Dust aid platignum which is a bit like a swab and it looks quite good it does say that to have it proffesionally cleaned could cost up to £150 and this product is around £20 what do you think????
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
Thanks Nero I have just googled it (sensor cleaning DSLR) and there is a product called Dust aid platignum which is a bit like a swab and it looks quite good it does say that to have it proffesionally cleaned could cost up to £150 and this product is around £20 what do you think????
If it's from a reputable source and you follow the instructions exactly I'd give it a go Suey, just remember to be careful coz it could cost you more than £20.
nero
Central Scotland

18-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Just logged onto their site Suey, watched the vids and it's a sticky medium they use to pick the dust up.

It looks OK but be very careful, good luck.
suey
Shropshire

18-10-2009, 08:18 PM

I am really p***d off about it Nero if we hadn't been so careful with it as we have only changed the lens the once if we had been changing it willy nilly I could have understood it but it is virtually wrapped in cotton wool we are so careful with it as it cost us so much money .. The Camera though I wish we had took it back it was only me telling my husband it would be ok that stopped him going back as when we bought it (from Curry's) when we got it home although all boxed up nicely we think it was pre used as the battery was charged and all the date and time was set on the camera and also the little back up battery was in place too ... A couple of weeks after buying it we bought the sigma 18-200 os lens for it but the firswt 50 or so photos with the sigma lens have no evidence of dust but now it has I don't know if you are familiar with EOS cameras but it does a sensor cleaning thingy every time you finish using it and hubby wonders if this particle could have been in there and only just adhered to the sensor...
nero
Central Scotland

18-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
I am really p***d off about it Nero if we hadn't been so careful with it as we have only changed the lens the once if we had been changing it willy nilly I could have understood it but it is virtually wrapped in cotton wool we are so careful with it as it cost us so much money .. The Camera though I wish we had took it back it was only me telling my husband it would be ok that stopped him going back as when we bought it (from Curry's) when we got it home although all boxed up nicely we think it was pre used as the battery was charged and all the date and time was set on the camera and also the little back up battery was in place too ... A couple of weeks after buying it we bought the sigma 18-200 os lens for it but the firswt 50 or so photos with the sigma lens have no evidence of dust but now it has I don't know if you are familiar with EOS cameras but it does a sensor cleaning thingy every time you finish using it and hubby wonders if this particle could have been in there and only just adhered to the sensor...
Try a can of compressed air specially made for this job, from what you say it's only one particle so it should blow out easily.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 01:37 AM

Some good tips in this thread on YoP Suey:

http://www.yophotographer.com/page.php?t=6322
suey
Shropshire

21-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks Azz I have looked on Yo and it was really good that one poor chappie I would be distraught going to have a go with DIY wish us luck...
nero
Central Scotland

24-10-2009, 05:11 PM

When taking the pics of the park on Thursday I noticed 3 specs in the viewfinder, thankfully the dirt was between the UV filter and the outer lens thank goodness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top