Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 03:41 PM

Re: Do you wash?

My produce before putting away, but that's it. Instead, I wash my hands as soon as I come in from shopping, wash my hands when everything is put away. and wash my hands all along the way during food preparation.

There are trillions of viruses out there, so I know it's a losing battle.

Something important to think about is how much we are making children wash their hands. Most of us don't consider that half of our immune system is adaptive/learned and that it only develops when we are exposed to bacteria and viruses. When the immune system trains itself to recognize a certain strain, it's speed in attacking it the second time - and thereafter is exponential compared to that first introduction.

If we aren't exposed to something as children, it could be harder for our bodies to attack when we are older.

Certainly, we don't want kids to spread Covid and the flu, but sometimes I worry that we are not allowing their immune systems to mature the way they should by constantly coating them with hand sanitizer.

Our ability to learn to attack a pathogen better after repeated exposures is incredible!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by surfermom ->
my produce before putting away, but that's it. Instead, i wash my hands as soon as i come in from shopping, wash my hands when everything is put away. And wash my hands all along the way during food preparation.

There are trillions of viruses out there, so i know it's a losing battle.

Something important to think about is how much we are making children wash their hands. Most of us don't consider that half of our immune system is adaptive/learned and that it only develops when we are exposed to bacteria and viruses. When the immune system trains itself to recognize a certain strain, it's speed in attacking it the second time - and thereafter is exponential compared to that first introduction.

if we aren't exposed to something as children, it could be harder for our bodies to attack when we are older.

Certainly, we don't want kids to spread covid and the flu, but sometimes i worry that we are not allowing their immune systems to mature the way they should by constantly coating them with hand sanitizer.

Our ability to learn to attack a pathogen better after repeated exposures is incredible!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Mups, no one has still attempted to answer the question, if you have a virus on your hands, how many individual objects can it be attached to, before there is no more left on the hand?
It depends on how much virus you have on your hands to start with. So someone sneezing into their hands or uses their hands to wipe their nose etc could spread it quite far before it dies on their hands. But more people wearing masks and not able to pick their noses would reduce the risk of spreading it all over surfaces. (unless they are the types that wear the mask under their nose....)
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 08:21 PM

Shamefully .... no.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
A lot of the advice that is out there regarding the virus and it's effects on food packaging and other materials and surfaces is based in my opinion on scientific research done on the winter flu. There is decades of research on the winter flu and how it can spread to others but there is NO effective research done with covid-19 because there just has not been enough time to research how the virus spreads to others when it comes to handling things. The only research experts can fall back on is that of the winter flu because both viruses are very similar in symptoms, just that one is more deadlier than the other.

Hence why the experts say that on some surfaces, the virus can stay present for 3 days, others a few hours, others 24 to 72 hrs. This advice falls inline with the same advice given about the winter flu.

Therefore I am curious to know, those of you who are cleaning the food packaging, how many of you cleaned your food packaging prior to covid-19? because catching the winter flu is just as deadly, it kills approximately 20,000 to 44,000 people in the UK every year (official stats on government website). Warehouse workers, delivery drivers and other shop staff can have the winter flu, cough all over the products and I bet no one cleaned the products when getting them home.
I think there is a difference. I have a flu jab every year and never get flu. I don't know whether that's due to the jab or a natural immunity but whatever the reason, not getting flu has stood the test of many years. Therefore no wiping down before this Covid pandemic.

I haven't had a Covid jab and my immunity to the virus is an unknown factor, so I take extra precautions, one of which is wiping items of shopping with disinfectant.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
My produce before putting away, but that's it. Instead, I wash my hands as soon as I come in from shopping, wash my hands when everything is put away. and wash my hands all along the way during food preparation.

There are trillions of viruses out there, so I know it's a losing battle.

If we aren't exposed to something as children, it could be harder for our bodies to attack when we are older.

Certainly, we don't want kids to spread Covid and the flu, but sometimes I worry that we are not allowing their immune systems to mature the way they should by constantly coating them with hand sanitizer.

Do you know SM, I was going to start a thread saying exactly that ('cept you worded it much better than I would have).

I've often thought back to how when we were kids, there was a school of thought about shoving kids towards all the childhood illness. Then the age old when kids first start school they usually picked up umpteen bugs and seemed constantly full of colds.

It's nearly a year now and I've wondered many times how my immune system must be wrecked. I spent nearly 30yrs in the latter part of my working life and volunteering in germ ridden hospitals - so I must've built up a good immune system.
Now I don't work and live on my own less beasties come my way. That doesn't worry me just I am aware of it.
Perhaps that's one reason why the elderly become more vulnerable, ie they're retired, so don't mix as much, so catch less beasties.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 08:55 PM

Yes I wipe everything with either squirty Dettol or Dettol wipes before I put the shopping away.

Also the car doors and controls, the 4 handles to get into the house, debit card, the sanitizer bottle I take out with me, wash keys.... finally Dettol the taps I've used with germ ridden hands.

Oh, just thought, then I put all the wipes in the bin, so come back in and wash my hands as I've been to the bins - but I'd do that anyway

And another Oh.... if after all that the postmans shoves something through the door, I pick it up, drop it on the side for a couple of days, and go and wash hands again, then wash the tap again 'cos I touched it with a possible dirt ridden hand.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I always squirt the old bag I take with me and squirt that down too. (Think I've remembered all now )

Finally I make a brew
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It depends on how much virus you have on your hands to start with. So someone sneezing into their hands or uses their hands to wipe their nose etc could spread it quite far before it dies on their hands. But more people wearing masks and not able to pick their noses would reduce the risk of spreading it all over surfaces. (unless they are the types that wear the mask under their nose....)
What units are the concentration of a virus measured in?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What units are the concentration of a virus measured in?
No idea, but the higher the viral load the more likely you are to have a severe illness. So I reckon the risk from touching delivered shopping has to be pretty low. But wearing gloves and washing hands is going to cut it to near zero. As is avoiding people who pick their nose.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
No idea, but the higher the viral load the more likely you are to have a severe illness. So I reckon the risk from touching delivered shopping has to be pretty low. But wearing gloves and washing hands is going to cut it to near zero. As is avoiding people who pick their nose.

Even if they wear gloves?

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top