Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 06:06 PM

Re: He’s right

Back to add that every person who immigrates should have to sign a contract to the effect that the host country has no legal obligation to protect one's rights until citizen is earned, and that upon citizenship, one has due diligence to comply with certain aspects of assimilation - like having a working knowledge of the language. People are ever forgetting that citizenship is as much about responsibilities as rights.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 06:14 PM

Multiculturalism ..... I wouldn't say that is a fair way to describe political Islamic Extremists by comparing them to other cultures who we rub along fine with.

The problem with "integration" is that people seem to think you have to integrate other cultures all the time when they move to another country. They don't want it and neither does anyone else really, we can all agree we are different, have different views and respect each others beliefs etc. It's the political correct nut cases that get offended on everyone else behalf that start all this crap and stir everything up.

People get more offended by what people wear than anything else. Why are people so offended by clothes ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Back to add that every person who immigrates should have to sign a contract to the effect that the host country has no legal obligation to protect one's rights until citizen is earned, and that upon citizenship, one has due diligence to comply with certain aspects of assimilation - like having a working knowledge of the language. People are ever forgetting that citizenship is as much about responsibilities as rights.
Definitely.

If only we had such restrictions in this country.
Unfortunately, the opposite often seems to be the case. Authorities, such as local councils, etc, seem to go out of their way to accommodate the demands of non-British immigrants for fear of being seen as 'racist'.

I don't know about America, but in the UK we have a saying that some (not all) immigrants have a practice of 'playing the race card' in order to obtain what the rest of us cannot.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 09:27 PM

I've always admired Putin, he's done right by most of his own people. Everyone over a certain age now gets a pension when they didn't before. He has built new housing in place of slums. I am aware that he has done some questionable things, especially in Ukraine. But even there, some of them are Putin supporters. There never has been a leader or a party in power of this country (the UK) where I agree with everything in their manifesto, you just have to play the averages, and Putin is more right than wrong in my opinion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've always admired Putin, he's done right by most of his own people. Everyone over a certain age now gets a pension when they didn't before. He has built new housing in place of slums. I am aware that he has done some questionable things, especially in Ukraine. But even there, some of them are Putin supporters. There never has been a leader or a party in power of this country (the UK) where I agree with everything in their manifesto, you just have to play the averages, and Putin is more right than wrong in my opinion.
I agree. I've always said that I don't see the Russians as our natural enemy, although the Americans fear them greatly.
I don't know a great deal about Putin, but I haven't yet heard him make any threats to us.

Yes, the Russians maintain strong defences and we take what measures we can to defend ourselves. However, Russia has been attacked by Nazi Germany and was nearly conquered (only 'Generals January and February' saved them), so I can understand their wish to maintain some buffer states as they did some years ago.

For now, they still feel the need to maintain a strong defence force because, as we know ourselves, you can never trust anyone, even those who call themselves your friends!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. I've always said that I don't see the Russians as our natural enemy, although the Americans fear them greatly.
I don't know a great deal about Putin, but I haven't yet heard him make any threats to us.

Yes, the Russians maintain strong defences and we take what measures we can to defend ourselves. However, Russia has been attacked by Nazi Germany and was nearly conquered (only 'Generals January and February' saved them), so I can understand their wish to maintain some buffer states as they did some years ago.

For now, they still feel the need to maintain a strong defence force because, as we know ourselves, you can never trust anyone, even those who call themselves your friends!
Good post JB, I agree...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:17 PM

He probably is, but, stating the obvious, Globalization is not just about commerce.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-01-2021, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
He probably is, but, stating the obvious, Globalization is not just about commerce.
Too much 'Globalization' is counter productive Spitty...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:38 PM

I know, been watching it for a while.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

It said in Sunday's paper that he has increased the number of his warships creeping about in our waters lately.
NINE are known to be in our waters.
It is thought they are looking for our submarines.

Can't remember all what it said now and I've chucked the paper away now.

This might be the link, not sure now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/russia

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top