Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:24 PM

One in eight people in England had Covid antibodies by December

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-55715793

The proportion of the population testing positive for Covid-19 antibodies almost doubled between October and December 2020, according to Office for National Statistics estimates.

Approximately one in 10 people had antibodies against the virus across the UK in December, with England topping the list at one in eight people or about 12% of the population.

That equates to 5.4 million people over the age of 16.
In Wales, an estimated one in 10 had antibodies and one in 11 in Scotland. The likelihood of having antibodies was lowest in Northern Ireland at one in 13 or 7.6%.

Since October, the number of people with Covid antibodies has increased across the UK.

Yorkshire and the Humber has overtaken London as having the highest proportion of people with antibodies at 16.8%, up from 9.5% when the ONS last published the figures in October, and from below 5% in May.

London is close behind at 16.4%, up from 11% in October. At the last peak in May, 15% of the population in London had antibodies, but this fell, as detectable antibodies recede with time.

In the North West, 15% of people had antibodies, more than doubling from 6% in October.
That's an awful lot of previously-infected (and infectious) people, many of whom would have been asymptomatic .....
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:06 PM

Re: One in eight people in England had Covid antibodies by December

Heard this evening - that came as a shock
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:07 PM

It has to be noted that it's a projection of a sample study.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Indeed it is ..... and the ONS statistics have proved consistently more reliable than government figures .....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 08:25 PM

I was saying to my husband last night, I wonder if I have had Covid as for a few weeks now I have a runny nose, like water just runs out of my nose with no warning, so I'm wondering if I have had Covid and this is what is left of it? I don't know obviously but it does make me wonder. Can anyone get an antibodies test?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So it's a best guess then Annie...?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I was saying to my husband last night, I wonder if I have had Covid as for a few weeks now I have a runny nose, like water just runs out of my nose with no warning, so I'm wondering if I have had Covid and this is what is left of it? I don't know obviously but it does make me wonder. Can anyone get an antibodies test?
It's strange Lion Queen, but every illness these days seem to be covid....What happened to colds and flu, they usually do the rounds at this time of year...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So it's a best guess then Annie...?
All statistical modelling is.

Depends on whether the sample is representative. When they do tests they do a random sample to test for antibodies. Not sure how many people this is based on.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's strange Lion Queen, but every illness these days seem to be covid....What happened to colds and flu, they usually do the rounds at this time of year...
No, I mean I'm wondering if I had covid, I have always got a runny nose these past few weeks and it's not going away and I know there is something called long covid so I'm just wondering if its that. Probably not though. Mind you, I never had a cold in the first place so that's whats making me wonder. The water literally just runs out of my nose with no warning, not all the time though. Perhaps I should ask my doctor but then I don't want to bother him, it's not making me feel poorly or anything just seems strange, I've never had anything like it.

Who knows eh our Foxy lad
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

19-01-2021, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
You can get a private antibody test. Not sure whether they are any good.

I've also wondered whether I had covid a few months ago as have had various aches and pains. Not sure whether some of us are having strange symptoms because of covid or because of lockdown....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top