Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Re: Duff Solar Lights

Originally Posted by shirley ->
We have had solar lights in our garden for over 17 years now, we usually buy then when they are on offer from gardens centres but we also buy odd ones from Poundland, we have well in advance of 100 of all different types and styles. From hanging ones to butterflies and also ornamental.

We take it for granted that we have to throw at least a couple away each year, because as Bruce says from corrosion. But some are still going strong after ten years. We always expect when we buy the packs which hold 10 that some are not going to work.

We also think our garden is a landing strip, and when we hear a plane very clearly on a night time worry in case it is trying to land.
We have about 35 at the moment plus 2 Butterfly "strings" which are all different colours and another string of 50 white lights draped over the pergola.

A few years ago we had about 60 separate lights altogether and one was a spotlight - like now - but what we didn't know was that one had a fault and kept flashing on and off after a few hours.

We only found out when a Police helicopter flew over our garden one night and stayed overhead for about 10 minutes.

Hell of a racket at midnight too and that was when I found out about the spotlight - and turned it off!

A policeman came round about a week later and told us the "chopper" thought someone was in distress!

They apologised, as did we, and we told them we'd dumped the faulty one and got a new one.

"I know" he said "We flew over again last night and the lights look great from up there but bear in mind the flashing ones!" stevmk2
shazy
lancashire
shazy is female  shazy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 09:47 PM

Ive had my lights in the Garden about 6yrs now.
They work fine, apart from one is a bit dull, Bruce, Im gona try
that what you suggested about cleaning the terminals..Thanks
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2014, 08:53 AM

I love my Solar lamps. I don't buy batteries for mine though. They work just on the Sun. I put them away in Winter as I don't want the frost to effect them at all. Mine were cheap and they all have a on/off switch inside
and I turn it off when I put them in the shed in Winter. If your switch is
turned off then the lamp will not take in the sunshine. Its only a small switch though. As Bruce said wipe clean the connections for batteries as
I remember doing that for my transistor radio.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2014, 11:25 AM

I often wonder if one of the many planes that go over our house see the lights and think they look good.

You got me thinking Steve about ours as I have often seen one of the lights flashing on the back wall. Went out last night and turned it so that it was shining on the plants. Thanks for that one.

Don't want the police coming round. Just shows they were looking out for you. Which is nice.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Now the days are lighter the lights are coming on again and they are pretty in the early evening, usually I put them away for winter as its so dull and no sun, but forgot this year but they seem to be alright.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->

We also think our garden is a landing strip, and when we hear a plane very clearly on a night time worry in case it is trying to land.
If you get one of these landing, tell someone.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 11:45 PM

Lol Bruce, very illuminating.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I had a similar problem with a cheap outside security light sensor as it would stop working for no apparent reason but then I must have bought a 'good one' as it worked for years through all the bad weather. Luck of the draw it seems with these low cost items.
I never had any luck with those things either, I thought it was just me, we must have had five or six different ones over the years, cheap ones and dear ones, all the same so the last one is just left hanging there lifeless, wouldn't be bothered anymore, not worth the hassle, anyway the dog barks like hell if anything comes into the garden and I have two security cameras covering back and front.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top