Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 01:51 PM

Re: Veg Growing for Singles.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Do you avoid veggies because you think they will force you into a relationship again?

No seeds this year, though I am nurturing a couple of volunteers from last year. My son built me a large gardening box (the first building project he has done on his own ) as a bit of a surprise, so young plants it is!
Hi

That is brilliant Surfermom.

I am very involved with growing my own.

Minimum Carbon Footprint, No plastics and I know what has been put on them.

Much easier when you are growing for a family, lot of wastage if you are growing for one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 02:23 PM

I have just enough early potatoes for myself.

Carrots I sow in monthly stages so's they don't all come ready together.
Some late ones last year did me right through last winter until this spring.

Just half a dozen runner beans seeds will do me, which I will start off in pots, shortly.

Cut & come again mixed lettuce leaves are quick and easy to sow.
Again, I do repeat sowings at different times.

I have two varieties of tomatoes this year. A cherry for salads (Sweet Apperatiff) , and a larger one (Shirley) for slicing.
I always grow a few extra plants for a friend as well.

I've got Everlasting sweet peas, £2.99 for a pckt of 25 seeds.

I always grow half a dozen Sunflowers too, (Earthwalker variety). These are a memory of my Mum who I used to grow them for.

A few other flower seedling to prick out still, but like others have said, it's been so cold that I'm late doing these jobs this year.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 02:30 PM

It's very easy to make your own polytunnel. Some reasonably thick wire bent into a circle and cut. The cover can easily be made from the plastic used to cover a roll of carpet - I used those for quite a few years with great success.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2021, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Do you avoid veggies because you think they will force you into a relationship again?

Ha ha No I think my age is a big enough deterrent.

After I wrote that I remembered my Nasturtiums which grow like a weed behind my garage and which I do use instead of lettuce on sandwiches. There is also some Pig Face which are a bush tucker.

I don't know if they count as a veggie
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 09:37 AM

I grow most veg from seeds usually except for things like purple sprouting which is a late crop and would take up valuable room in my small garden from summer growers and tomatoes because my favourite variety 'Elegance' was grafted. I haven't grown tomatoes for a couple of years, the ones I can buy locally are lovely .

I have planted some runner beans in pots also carrots, salad leaves, and spring onions. It is too cold to plant much yet.
I didn't bother with early potatoes this year .

The new raspberries (Joan autumn fruiting) and strawberries are looking ok and the garlic is a foot high, no sign of the dreaded allium fly yet I am hoping all the frost have interrupted its cycle.

Now I have got the mini greenhouse I intend to grow more vegetables .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top