Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MarciKS
Kansas USA
MarciKS is female  MarciKS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 09:21 PM

Re: Just Imagine

LOL @ this post

I'm sure it's not the same with God because he can surely see our true intentions.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MarciKS ->

I'm sure it's not the same with God because he can surely see our true intentions.
Do you think God enjoys sycophantic attention then, Marci?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Just imagine that one of your kids comes round and starts to go on about how wonderful you are. Imagine how uncomfortable you would become, having to just sit and listen to them telling you what a wise and reliable parent you have always been to them. Telling you that you are, and always will be, the most important person in their life. Telling you that their admiration and devotion are boundless.
It seems to me this is the wrong way around. As parents we are encouraged to give our children praise, praise and more praise - to encourage and create self-confidence. Did this happen to us? Not in my experience.............it was more along the lines of "you'd better pass that exam or else" or "however did you manage to pass that exam?". I wonder if this (possibly) excessive praise and raising self confidence may have something to do with the over-active self confidence and excessive entitlement seen in so many of the younger generation............
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
It seems to me this is the wrong way around. As parents we are encouraged to give our children praise, praise and more praise - to encourage and create self-confidence. Did this happen to us? Not in my experience.............it was more along the lines of "you'd better pass that exam or else" or "however did you manage to pass that exam?". I wonder if this (possibly) excessive praise and raising self confidence may have something to do with the over-active self confidence and excessive entitlement seen in so many of the younger generation............
I think you might have missed the point, Lindy. What I described was a very unlikely hypothetical situation about our own children, and how undesirable we would find it were it not so unlikely and hypothetical. So I was just posing the question: why do we imagine that God likes it with his children?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by UkGameCoder ->
Dead right, Artangel. We had to earn our pocket money under one of the strictest fascist regimes in history.

Example:

MUM: "David. If you go down the shop for me, I'll give you sixpence."

ME: "Er, sorry, Mum - don't need the work right now. Thanks anyway! "

MUM: "David. I take it you don't need your skull busting wide open either, eh?"

ME: "Can you make it a bob then?"

SILENCE

ME: "Allright, allright - give me the damned sixpence then."

Blinkin heck...sixpence! You were rich in your house!

We all like to be appreciated my son told everyone in his wedding speech he won the life lottery having me as his mum and I will always remember that.....I don't believe in a religious god though so all those praises go on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

04-07-2021, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I don't believe in a religious god though so all those praises go on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned.
Neither do I, summer, but just imagining for a moment that God is there, I wonder what he would make of all the ritualistic praise he gets. I can't help thinking it would get on his nerves a bit.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 08:21 AM

I think you might have missed the point, Lindy. What I described was a very unlikely hypothetical situation about our own children, and how undesirable we would find it were it not so unlikely and hypothetical. So I was just posing the question: why do we imagine that God likes it with his children?
Harbal, So why didn’t you put this thread in the Religious section and then we might have got your drift?
Harbal
South Yorkshire

04-07-2021, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Harbal, So why didn’t you put this thread in the Religious section?
Two reason's, Art: I didn't realise there was a religious section, and the thread is about discouraging religion, and I didn't want to come across as preaching.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 08:51 AM

Two reason's, Art: I didn't realise there was a religious section, and the thread is about discouraging religion, and I didn't want to come across as preaching.
OK, l’ll let you off!!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 08:55 AM

Is there a religious section? I couldn't find one yesterday when I wanted to post something, so I just didn't post anything. its probably for the best.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top