Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 09:51 PM

Re: Windows 11 ?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks for your help.
However, I wasn't considering the ability to run Windows itself on a Mac. Rather some software which I presently run on Windows: specifically Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD, both of which I use quite a lot.
There appear to be Mac versions of both,
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-el...atibility.html

https://www.turbocad.co.uk/mac-range...0finish%20line

Whether your current keys would work with the Mac versions is another matter. It maybe makes that clear on those pages or ir should at least be something you could ask about.

With Linux you could always try Wine I suppose but I doubt there is a version of that which would run on a Mac as I doubt that Apple great fans of Opensource.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by digitalham ->
There appear to be Mac versions of both,
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-el...atibility.html

https://www.turbocad.co.uk/mac-range...0finish%20line

Whether your current keys would work with the Mac versions is another matter. It maybe makes that clear on those pages or ir should at least be something you could ask about.

With Linux you could always try Wine I suppose but I doubt there is a version of that which would run on a Mac as I doubt that Apple great fans of Opensource.
Thanks. That's encouraging.

At best, I could use them with a Mac.
At worst, I'd have to pay for Apple versions, but that's not the end of the world.

Nothing's going to happen just yet, of course. In fact, by the time MS insists on me converting to W11, my present laptop might be asking to be ditched anyway.
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 12:12 PM

Damn now I'm receiving messages from Microsoft in the lower right of my computer monitor. Telling me Windows 11 is coming. If I have to upgrade and this is another Windows ME disaster, I may start breaking things.

Whatever happened to if it isn't broke ....?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Danny ->
Damn now I'm receiving messages from Microsoft in the lower right of my computer monitor. Telling me Windows 11 is coming. If I have to upgrade and this is another Windows ME disaster, I may start breaking things.

Whatever happened to if it isn't broke ....?
It's one thing telling us that W11 is coming, but let them tell me that I MUST have it and I assure you that I'll rebel!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It's one thing telling us that W11 is coming, but let them tell me that I MUST have it and I assure you that I'll rebel!
If your PC does not have a compatible motherboard, then you wont be able to download it. . . fact!
MarciKS
Kansas USA
MarciKS is female  MarciKS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What do you think ...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/3/22...b-global-en-GB
I don't mind the updates. What makes me mad is the fact that if I let my laptop accept and download and install the updates I lose my sound. I've tried all the fixes and Microsoft as well as Dell...neither one can offer any help at all to fix this issue. So if I wanna continue to enjoy Hulu and YouTube I have to constantly reset the date for the auto update which by the way I turned off. But Microsoft forces it anyway. Otherwise I will have no sound and I would have to go somewhere to download another audio output thing? The least they could do is either fix that issue or give us fixes that actually work.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MarciKS ->
I don't mind the updates. What makes me mad is the fact that if I let my laptop accept and download and install the updates I lose my sound. I've tried all the fixes and Microsoft as well as Dell...neither one can offer any help at all to fix this issue. So if I wanna continue to enjoy Hulu and YouTube I have to constantly reset the date for the auto update which by the way I turned off. But Microsoft forces it anyway. Otherwise I will have no sound and I would have to go somewhere to download another audio output thing? The least they could do is either fix that issue or give us fixes that actually work.
That is annoying and not unheard of with Dell. It seems to me like MS updates are overwriting the Dell audio driver, although with a make as popular as Dell I can't see why the driver would overwritten with one that doesn't work.

As well as asking Dell and Microsoft without success, does trying everything include the suggestions that can be found on the Internet about the problem, including using the Windows troubleshooter? A search for 'dell laptop loses sound with windows updates' brings up a number of results but I'd steer clear of anywhere trying to sell audio drivers. This video seems to cover all the bases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv73CfPUqA

I bought a used HP laptop computer that came with all sorts of HP specific software on it for drivers etc. It wasn't running all that well with one thing and another so in the end, I formatted the disk and cleanly installed Windows 10. The Windows installation supplied everything needed to run the computer without having to reinstall any of HP's own software. The computer has been good since, all updates accepted.

It's a drastic cure for computer problems and I don't know if formatting and reinstalling the OS (without the Dell software) would have the same success but I've often thought that when Windows is cleanly installed with just its own software, that's when it works the best.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MarciKS ->
The world, of drivers, is a minefield.

Who is responsible for making sure that Windows has the right driver for your device?, I'd suggest (in your example) that it must be Dell.

A manufacturer creates a device, to work with Windows, and sells the device, usually with the driver included in the package, ready for installation.

MS, meanwhile, compiles a set of compatible device drivers, (via contact with the device creators?) so that MS can do all of it's updates without having to keep going back to, say, Dell, to check out if the MS saved device drivers are still right.

So, then you have two, maybe, drivers of different levels, being thrown at your device.

Add to that the various Device Driver companies who sell their own drivers & confuse the issue still further.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that the firm which sells it's devices as "Compatible with Windows" must be responsible & must fix any issues ever arising.

If they say it's compatible it must be so, and remain so!

They ought to be making sure that MS is kept up to date.

My impressions is that they don't do this!

(Just my thoughts)
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 04:46 PM

On my Windows PCs driver updates are optional - presumably to avoid this problem. Apparently that change came sometime in 2019.
https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/28/sh...river-updates/

Ah on reading that it seems the drivers I see under optional may be back level ones. What a minefield. I recall losing bluetooth once. I found a fix through google - it was installing a driver set for a different adapter. Not sure how that worked but it did.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by digitalham ->
On my Windows PCs driver updates are optional - presumably to avoid this problem. Apparently that change came sometime in 2019.
https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/28/sh...river-updates/

Ah on reading that it seems the drivers I see under optional may be back level ones. What a minefield. I recall losing bluetooth once. I found a fix through google - it was installing a driver set for a different adapter. Not sure how that worked but it did.
It seems to be a weird cop out!

Why cannot the creator of a device write the driver and get that driver officially approved to work with Windows?

He made the product, writes the Driver code, and fails to make sure it works.

Not a Microsoft Problem, in my opinion.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top