Join for free
Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:27 AM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Most of the stuff in OFF about Smart Meters has been nonsense and speculation about fees and charges. Here is a real reason you might want to avoid having one installed.

Intimate data about the private lives of millions of Australians will be analysed and monetised by a partnership between a New Zealand company and a subsidiary of the world's biggest retailer, Amazon.

Smart meters deliver information about household power use and are being installed at a rate of 12,000 a month as the electricity grid juggles a boom in household solar with a nationally linked network of generators and users.

The data goes far beyond how much power you use in a certain time of day — revealing things like the number of televisions you have, the age of your fridge and other appliances, and the number of people in your home.

The information will be shared in a partnership between New Zealand utility company Vector and Amazon Web Services (AWS), the cloud computing subsidiary of internet behemoth Amazon.

"Smart meters, and the way you consume energy is very private," said Kaspar Kaarlep, co-founder of power technology company WePower.

"I would compare it to, let's say, the City of Melbourne selling access to all of its CCTV cameras to Amazon … to develop new products and services.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...homes/12582776
Are you suggesting that the smart meter collects that information? (my bold above).

Please explain how it does that?

I get how it knows how much power you use, that's pretty obvious, but number of tellies, number of people?

That could, surely, only be done by a survey of the house?

Your post reads like a frightener put out to scare potential
users.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Are you suggesting that the smart meter collects that information? (my bold above).

Please explain how it does that?

I get how it knows how much power you use, that's pretty obvious, but number of tellies, number of people?

That could, surely, only be done by a survey of the house?

Your post reads like a frightener put out to scare potential
users.
How about you read the article?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How about you read the article?
Read the article.

Please explain where it says that the smart meter collects the information I mentioned.

i.e number of TVs, number of people, age of fridge, etc.

The article is more "might one day, in the future" !

Speculative?

Scaremongering!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
There are two percieved elements of "turn it off" that are being discussed here

The meter (smart or otherwise) is NOT able to disconnect the supply, it will always pass the current
I'm afraid that isn't correct.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'm afraid that isn't correct.
In the UK, meters CANNOT disconnect the supply
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Havenview according to this US article they can shut off electricity remotely and problems with this has led to power companies having to disable that function. The fact they have protocols in place right now doesn't mean that will always be the case. If a smart meter hasn't had the functionality disabled who is to say it may not malfunction to turn the power off or be hacked.

https://www.wired.com/2010/03/smart-grids-done-smartly/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

10-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
In the UK, meters CANNOT disconnect the supply
Hopefully, they would have to check that there was nobody there living on a ventilator, or anybody liable to freeze to death?

I guess the supplier would have to check out the risks first.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:04 AM

I've got the very best reason in the world for not having a smart meter installed. Seriously.

I don't bloody want one.

End of.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I've got the very best reason in the world for not having a smart meter installed. Seriously.

I don't bloody want one.

End of.

I like it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:26 AM

I have no evidence to prove that smart meters can turn off power, but I have heard that (in the future) they could adjust price charges at different times of the day, presumably to increase the power company's income.

I have always refused a smart meter and, going by the fact that few power suppliers now insist on new customers having them, I appear not to be alone.

Page 10 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top