Join for free
Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have no evidence to prove that smart meters can turn off power, but I have heard that (in the future) they could adjust price charges at different times of the day, presumably to increase the power company's income.

I have always refused a smart meter and, going by the fact that few power suppliers now insist on new customers having them, I appear not to be alone.

Me too, JBR. The only down side I can see is the customers with smart meters will be offered better tariffs than those who want to stay as they are.
We will end up having to pay more as a 'punishment' for not complying.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
In the UK, meters CANNOT disconnect the supply
Try again.............

''Gas and electricity companies cannot cut off your supply unless they have first offered you a range of payment methods to help you pay. They must only disconnect your supply as a last resort and they must give you proper notice first.''
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Me too, JBR. The only down side I can see is the customers with smart meters will be offered better tariffs than those who want to stay as they are.
Perhaps for now Mupsy, but when we have all got a smart meter the screw will be turned up for everyone..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Perhaps for now Mupsy, but when we have all got a smart meter the screw will be turned up for everyone..

Yes, I don't doubt it Foxy, and there won't be much we can do about it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 12:02 PM

Yes, I don't doubt it Foxy, and there won't be much we can do about it.
Not if yer'v got a Smart Meter....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 12:03 PM

A few weeks ago, I looked on the Cheap Energy Club web site (Martin's Money Tips) for the best option for when I ditched British Gas. None of the best deals required a smart meter including the one I decided to go with: So Energy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Power companies are under increasing pressure from the regulator to insist customers have a smart meter.

Yes of course tariffs will have to go up over time because power providers are expected to recoup the massive costs of installation. It's not free. I suppose they will be getting the money back from people who don't want one. If we want to change tariff they offer some tariffs only with a smart meter installation. Rats.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Try again.............

''Gas and electricity companies cannot cut off your supply unless they have first offered you a range of payment methods to help you pay. They must only disconnect your supply as a last resort and they must give you proper notice first.''
Legislation can change. Plus that doesn't address hacking risks. The smart meters have a functionality to turn off the supply and some companies are converting them to prepayment meters.

"But Ofgem said: ‘When smart meters are remotely switched to prepayment, the opportunity afforded by a site visit to identify vulnerability or reasons why prepayment may not be safe can be missed.

‘Remote switching without the customer being notified or aware of prepayment meter functionalities can leave that customer off supply.’

Just under 70,000 smart meters were switched from credit to prepayment mode remotely to repay a debt in 2018 – up from 21,000 in 2017."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-payment.html
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Legislation can change.
That it may. Either way.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-09-2020, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
That it may.
Apologies I've edited my post as I have found some more details of how power companies have been abusing the functionality of smartmeters.

Page 11 of 20 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top