Join for free
Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 10:28 PM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Most on here have surpassed previous life expectancies, just how much life do folks expect?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Most on here have surpassed previous life expectancies, just how much life do folks expect?
I expect another two years.

I'm entitled to three score years and ten.

It must be true; the bible says so.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I expect another two years.

I'm entitled to three score years and ten.

It must be true; the bible says so.
According to that JB, I should have expired in July....And sometimes when I'm out running, I think I have!..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But OGF you can't compare an atomic bomb to a nuclear reactor. We are surrounded with natural radiation. If you live in Cornwall you should be walking around like that old Ready Brek advert. Transporting a truck of bananas will set a geiger counter off. Brazil nuts are delicious but also radioactive.

Higher incidences of cancer started around the time we worked out how to counter diseases that used to kill us early in life. Although you hear of young people contracting cancer it's predominantly a disease of old age. We have also increased processed foods, reduced exercise, increased alcohol consumption (and for a long time cigarettes), and exposed ourselves to carcinogens that we didn't realise were harmful (pesticides etc). I read somewhere that scented candles could give you cancer. Did anyone have these back in the 1920s? We know that sunlight gives us cancer, but radiation is after all used to treat cancer too.
There's natural and there's 'Excessive' Annie. Although I did read a while back that people who were born, and have spent most of their lives in a high radiation location, do actually build up some resistance to it.
I agree with some of the other cancer causing factors, but Alcohol and fags have been around for yonks, and the main cancers these days are Breast and Prostate not Lung or liver.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
According to that JB, I should have expired in July....And sometimes when I'm out running, I think I have!..
Well, don't tell God or he'll have you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2020, 01:11 PM

Well, don't tell God or he'll have you.
Ha ha yes JB...Whenever I hear of someone close to home passing away, I shuffle one more place up the list....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 01:12 PM

There's natural and there's 'Excessive' Annie. Although I did read a while back that people who were born, and have spent most of their lives in a high radiation location, do actually build up some resistance to it.
I agree with some of the other cancer causing factors, but Alcohol and fags have been around for yonks, and the main cancers these days are Breast and Prostate not Lung or liver.
Fall in use of tobacco has resulted in marked reduction in lung cancer. Alcohol consumption is linked to mouth and throat cancers and alcohol consumption has reduced per capita. Liver cancer usually because of metastasis of a cancer elsewhere. Prostate cancer is more prevalent amongst negroes so genetics must play a part though modern diet no doubt also plays a part.

Coal burning releases radioactive components as does wood burning and natural gas which has relatively high levels of active isotypes.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2020, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Fall in use of tobacco has resulted in marked reduction in lung cancer. Alcohol consumption is linked to mouth and throat cancers and alcohol consumption has reduced per capita. Liver cancer usually because of metastasis of a cancer elsewhere. Prostate cancer is more prevalent amongst negroes so genetics must play a part though modern diet no doubt also plays a part.

Coal burning releases radioactive components as does wood burning and natural gas which has relatively high levels of active isotypes.
Perhaps I'm confusing liver cancer with Cirrhosis of the liver Todger. But I think alcohol consumption will have increased during lockdown?

I do think coal & wood burning might have increased the lung cancer risk, but burning wood and coal has been around longer than fags and lung cancer, but vehicle emissions hasn't....

I don't necessarily look at statistics, for me the facts are overwhelming, because I can certainly vouch for people I know, and there are lots of friends and acquaintances who are walking around with Prostate Cancer. All of which are white. In fact it seems like just about everyone I meet who are the same age as me are suffering with Prostate cancer, some of which didn't make it....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-09-2020, 09:05 PM

Perhaps I'm confusing liver cancer with Cirrhosis of the liver Todger. But I think alcohol consumption will have increased during lockdown?

I do think coal & wood burning might have increased the lung cancer risk, but burning wood and coal has been around longer than fags and lung cancer, but vehicle emissions hasn't....

I don't necessarily look at statistics, for me the facts are overwhelming, because I can certainly vouch for people I know, and there are lots of friends and acquaintances who are walking around with Prostate Cancer. All of which are white. In fact it seems like just about everyone I meet who are the same age as me are suffering with Prostate cancer, some of which didn't make it....
Just as a slight aside, I understand that funding for research and treatment of prostate cancer falls far short of that for breast cancer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2020, 09:42 PM

Just as a slight aside, I understand that funding for research and treatment of prostate cancer falls far short of that for breast cancer.
There's no justice in the world JB....
Seriously though....I think most prostate cancers are treatable, the doctor told my friend that he would die with prostate cancer, but not of it! However, I know a few ladies who either died of breast cancer, or have been to hell and back during (and even after) the treatment.

We are currently helping a good friend who is still receiving treatment and unable to go out due to covid. It's heartbreaking to see her struggling with the treatment...

Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top