Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 09:51 PM

Re: 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s

No outright favourite Minx...However.....
Fifties: Life was simple and uncomplicated. Long summer days wandering around the country, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. The house was always full of music but no TV until 1958. Not academic, so no homework and no expectations....

Sixties: Left school at fifteen and became an apprentice engineer. Not much interest in music until later in the decade, radios were not allowed at work. Plenty of snooker, beer and sex at the end of the decade. Roared around the neighbourhood on a motorbike with the gang until I passed driving test and bought my first car. No responsibilities, no money either, but lots of friends and good times. Don't regret a minute....

Seventies: Big changes, a wife, a child and a better job after finishing apprenticeship. Radio on at work from dawn until dusk. Loved the music. ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Thin Lizzy, and my favourite album of all time (still is) Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. Started running by accident in 1978....And it would define the rest of my life.... Probably my second favourite decade...

Eighties: Running dominates this decade. Fell running, Marathons and Ultra Distance. If I wasn't running, I'd be walking the wild places. Went on Foreign holidays at least once every year. Probably my best decade.....

Nineties: For the first half 90 - 95 same as the eighties. Then I was made redundant after 22 years. Less competitive running and new job. Enjoyed more classical music than popular music, popular music had taken a turn for the worse with just the odd decent track....Not the best decade for me, especially the second half, I was unsure what the future held.....
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
No outright favourite Minx...However.....
Fifties: Life was simple and uncomplicated. Long summer days wandering around the country, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. The house was always full of music but no TV until 1958. Not academic, so no homework and no expectations....

Sixties: Left school at fifteen and became an apprentice engineer. Not much interest in music until later in the decade, radios were not allowed at work. Plenty of snooker, beer and sex at the end of the decade. Roared around the neighbourhood on a motorbike with the gang until I passed driving test and bought my first car. No responsibilities, no money either, but lots of friends and good times. Don't regret a minute....

Seventies: Big changes, a wife, a child and a better job after finishing apprenticeship. Radio on at work from dawn until dusk. Loved the music. ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Thin Lizzy, and my favourite album of all time (still is) Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. Started running by accident in 1978....And it would define the rest of my life.... Probably my second favourite decade...

Eighties: Running dominates this decade. Fell running, Marathons and Ultra Distance. If I wasn't running, I'd be walking the wild places. Went on Foreign holidays at least once every year. Probably my best decade.....

Nineties: For the first half 90 - 95 same as the eighties. Then I was made redundant after 22 years. Less competitive running and new job. Enjoyed more classical music than popular music, popular music had taken a turn for the worse with just the odd decent track....Not the best decade for me, especially the second half, I was unsure what the future held.....
Well, you’ve had more highlights than lowlights and a life well lived! Love Fleetwood Mac, Mike Oldfield, ELO!

90s was a disappointment music wise.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Well, you’ve had more highlights than lowlights and a life well lived! Love Fleetwood Mac, Mike Oldfield, ELO!

Can't argue with that lot.

90s certainly dire as is today's music - absolute (c)rap.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:18 PM

Lets see this decade out, it may be the best yet, looking back seems to encourage retrospective decadence.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->

Yep, agreed Minx. These days I find myself seeking out some old stuff on youtube...
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 10:54 PM

Like OGF it's the 50's and 60's for me. Served my apprenticeship and bought my first car in the 50's. A pre war Austin 8. A rust bucket but my pride and joy. Two years national service in the REME 59 to 61. On demob I got a job in the construction industry and bought a Ford Anglia 105E another one of my favourites. After a short courtship I got married in 1967 and bought a flat in Aberdeen for £750. Two years later we bought a new 2 bedroom semi detached bungalow for £4,300. There was a lot of good music in those days too but it did not play such a big part in my life.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2020, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
70s, no doubt about it.

70s saw me go into my teenage years, I loved the music, I loved how I had the time of my life having fun with my friends, discovering boys, dancing at the youth clubs, ice skating, nicking off school, the 70s brought Freddie Mercury into my life...........Good lord, I loved and still love that man. Most of all the 70s introduced me to my man who became my husband and best mate.

Oh yes, those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end..............I wish they didn't!

Thank you bringing those memories to me Paula.

That could describe me LQ, with the exception of Freddie Mercury and your hubby😀
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Like OGF it's the 50's and 60's for me. Served my apprenticeship and bought my first car in the 50's. A pre war Austin 8. A rust bucket but my pride and joy. Two years national service in the REME 59 to 61. On demob I got a job in the construction industry and bought a Ford Anglia 105E another one of my favourites. After a short courtship I got married in 1967 and bought a flat in Aberdeen for £750. Two years later we bought a new 2 bedroom semi detached bungalow for £4,300. There was a lot of good music in those days too but it did not play such a big part in my life.
Awesome memories! And just look at the time value of money when it comes to property prices!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2020, 10:04 AM

Seventies for me. Managed to settle down with my 2nd wife, bought a house, the children were old enough to talk to, I was well-respected at work, I smoked without health worries, I had two kidneys and no cuts or broken bones. The music was great.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

28-10-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Seventies for me. Managed to settle down with my 2nd wife, bought a house, the children were old enough to talk to, I was well-respected at work, I smoked without health worries, I had two kidneys and no cuts or broken bones. The music was great.
I hope your one remaining kidney is working well! Awesome decade in terms of music!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top