Join for free
Page 8 of 20 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 03:10 PM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Read the instructions - again.
Read which instructions?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have two phases supplied to my house, still only three conductors - two live wires and a neutral, the earth is local.
I don't know about Ozze land. For USA, it is usual to have 120V/240V. UK is uk residential. My usual field is 400V/11,000V .

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Even if that is cut off I have a couple of generators which can give me about 5kw unfortunately I have no way of synchronizing them
Usually, fields can be synchronous alternators but usually not.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Read which instructions?
Same one I provided.
Do you need an analogue source from the street supply?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 03:32 PM

Same one I provided.
Do you need an analogue source from the street supply?
Ok I'm a bit lost. The average consumer doesn't know. I thought there was a junction box in the pavement that has all the wiring going to each property. I assumed that the power company would open that box to switch off an individual property's electricity. Some properties have boxes outside mounted on their property afaik. Then others have those overhead wires. So if they cut you off how would they do it? A magic button with your house number in the local power station?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

09-09-2020, 03:44 PM

Ok I'm a bit lost. The average consumer doesn't know. I thought there was a junction box in the pavement that has all the wiring going to each property. I assumed that the power company would open that box to switch off an individual property's electricity. Some properties have boxes outside mounted on their property afaik. Then others have those overhead wires. So if they cut you off how would they do it? A magic button with your house number in the local power station?
Good. So no complex analogue device. Which is what you were inferring a while back. That's good.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-09-2020, 04:20 PM

Good. So no complex analogue device. Which is what you were inferring a while back. That's good.
The wrong term but by analogue I meant not WIFI. An old fashioned meter.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

09-09-2020, 04:27 PM

The wrong term but by analogue I meant not WIFI. An old fashioned meter.
No problem. But my Fluke isn't an old fashioned meter. It is digital/analogue.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 05:21 PM

No problem. But my Fluke isn't an old fashioned meter. It is digital/analogue.
Can't beat an Avo 8.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

09-09-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Can't beat an Avo 8.
True. I think my last one was about forty or something like that............
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 08:43 PM

I thought there was a junction box in the pavement that has all the wiring going to each property. I assumed that the power company would open that box to switch off an individual property's electricity. Some properties have boxes outside mounted on their property afaik. Then others have those overhead wires. So if they cut you off how would they do it? A magic button with your house number in the local power station?
Annie - if you are in the UK you will have a supply coming into your house that goes into a terminating block called a cutout (or sometimes a "service head"). This will be located close to your meter so either inside your house or outside in one of those white boxes mounted on or in a wall that you mention. Within the cutout is a main fuse and it should be sealed with a security wire and a crimped seal. If you are "cut off" then they would remove the main fuse and insert a blank and re-seal the cutout. What this means is IF they can access that cutout they can cut you off BUT this is normally preceded by significant paperwork.

Nominally there is NO remote switching arrangement for an individual house supply - the electricity meter measures the consumption and that's all. It would be too expensive to add suitable switching to facilitate any form of remote cut off.

A further point - the "junction box" you refer to is a container buried at least 2ft underground. When the connection is originally made the join is done with live terminals. They are sealed and placed within the container and then a sand resin mixture is poured in which foams up and seals and waterproofs the connection. They then backfill and it's forgotten about!

Page 8 of 20 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top