Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 12:01 PM

Re: Is a VPN worth signing up to?

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
When you are on the Internet, you can be tracked. That means your visits to the bank can possibly - note the word possibly - can be compromised.

VPN, I'm told will stop this. However, the banks as part of their security will check your I.P. address as well as your location amongst other things to check that you are, in fact, you.

If you have VPN it will mask your location, giving out false information and that will throw a wobbly in any financial transaction you do.

So just make your choice and trust to luck.
Mine used to do, but these days, after having to jump through hoops to get logged on, they confirm who I am by sending a code to my mobile phone which I have to enter on the site. A bit of a faff, but extremely secure. My other bank accounts and Amazon account does this also.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
When you are on the Internet, you can be tracked. That means your visits to the bank can possibly - note the word possibly - can be compromised.

VPN, I'm told will stop this. However, the banks as part of their security will check your I.P. address as well as your location amongst other things to check that you are, in fact, you.

If you have VPN it will mask your location, giving out false information and that will throw a wobbly in any financial transaction you do.

So just make your choice and trust to luck.
That's exactly what happened. Tried to pay the Dart charge online but it was rejected as suspicious.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That sounds like a whole lot if reasons not to have one. It runs out tomorrow, so I might just let it go in that case.
Longdogs: Make sure they don't charge you even if you "just let it go".

I have AVG's Secure VPN (comes with the paid for AVG Internet Security software) that I use to read various USA news and newspaper websites.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Longdogs: Make sure they don't charge you even if you "just let it go".

I have AVG's Secure VPN (comes with the paid for AVG Internet Security software) that I use to read various USA news and newspaper websites.

Thanks Percy. I haven't given any card details so it should be okay.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Quite a few sites now give end to end encryption, even this one. If you see Https in the address bar, your connection is secure. It all stems from the revelations by wikileaks which made the public more aware of privacy concerns.

I use a VPN on the principle that we should be able to go online without our ISPs recording every move. As a business, it also protects my customers when I email them or conduct business with them.
I agree, Judd.

Best thing is for potential users to study up on the benefits & keep in mind that very good security is also good for the baddies of this world. That's why they go there.

It will all be normal (VPN) soon, anyway.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top