Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 11:36 AM

The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones,

Yes, I am referring to all those forgotten , once smart, but now dusty & faded herbs & spices sad and languishing at the back of the kitchen 4 drawer pack. How the years have flown by for the contents , herbs, in that drawer, just above the man’s drawer, another neglected domain .

Dill, bought for some exotic fish dish seen in a magazine concocted by Rick Stein, the cutting lost years ago judging by the sell by date of June 1998. Good grief.

Three jars of turmeric, gone solid. Ah ground cinnamon, I didn’t know I had that.
A tiny pinch of Saffron , also dried up. WE have had this one since we had a day trip to AUCHAN in Calais, along with a giant pack of anchovies.

What are you hiding in your kitchen drawers?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Re: The Forgotten Ones

Robert matey, I too have jars of Turmeric and Cinnamon, but I store mine in the food cupboard immediately above the cooker and they are used at very regular intervals - the Turmeric is used as an addition whilst boiling Rice so that it turns a delightful yellow colour. Cinnamon I use in apple crumbles, also as flavouring in bread pudding (together with Allspice & Mixed Spice), I sometimes add Cinnamon into my curries too along with Garam Masala, Cumin and of course Curry powder itself.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 12:36 PM

I have the same dreadful cupboard of herbs and spices. Many there hardly used. I do a clear out every now and again. I do make the family laugh though when I tell them the sell by date on the packets.
I once did a clear out in 2002 and found some pepper with a sell by date of 1986. It shouldn't have moved to the back of the cupboard it would have been used otherwise
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 12:41 PM

It is strange, the indelible circles these spice pots leave on the shelf of your kitchen units.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
What are you hiding in your kitchen drawers?
Nothing draws and cupboards regularly cleaned and checked along with dates, no items out of date here
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 02:01 PM

What lurks in me kitchen drawers ! God knows !
Its a bloomin shambles !!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
What lurks in me kitchen drawers ! God knows !
Its a bloomin shambles !!
I am fanatical about mine, even the labels have to be lined up and facing the right way
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Whilst off work just recently I had the time to go through all of my kitchen cupboards. oh dear the things that I thought I had only bought months ago, pass by dates I dare not say and packets of things that you think when you buy them that they will go with something as some time and you never ever get round to making the dish.

Waste
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 03:28 PM

I use my herbs and spices on a daily basis rarley one left out ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Paprika ! I keep buying it every few years when I see a recipe using it forgetting I hate the stuff. Last time I bought it must have been a couple of years ago because the use by date was 12/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top