Join for free
Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 11:46 PM

Re: Brexit talks end 1 day early??

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
So, in the event of no deal being reached and possibly thousands of EU workers losing their jobs as a result, you are of the opinion that those workers will blame "stupid brits" for their plight, rather than the failure of their own bureaucrats to strike a deal? You must inhabit a very strange world.
Which "stupid brits" are you referring to exactly?
Look at it another way. Suppose the EU is unable to strike a deal with japan, do you think workers will blame the commission for negative effects? Why would that be different with the brits, you consider them so special?

For workers in europe there is no difference between remainers and leavers. We just saw all brits leave in january. And now they want a trade deal. When a deal is beneficial for the EU, okay. If it's not, then it's better to have no deal with the brits.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, I wouldn't even bother to discuss things with him.
I know he's a great supporter of the EU, which is fair enough, but more importantly you'll never get any sensible answers from him.
Rephrase that in: answers you can understand.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

05-07-2020, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree.

What annoyed me more than anything is how the EU assigned our fishing areas 85% to the Frogs and 10% to us!

I could at least understand their logic if we were awarded 10% and the other 90% divided between other EU member states, but how did the Frogs end up with the lion's share?

Does anyone have any sort of explanation?
Your figures are incorrect, but everyone can easily check it here: https://ec.europa.eu/maritimeaffairs...3198891245;z=4
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Look at it another way. Suppose the EU is unable to strike a deal with japan, do you think workers will blame the commission for negative effects? Why would that be different with the brits, you consider them so special?

For workers in europe there is no difference between remainers and leavers. We just saw all brits leave in january. And now they want a trade deal. When a deal is beneficial for the EU, okay. If it's not, then it's better to have no deal with the brits.
You see here it works like this: If our politicians fail to reach an agreement that satisfies most people then we blame them. We don't blame people who live in France, Germany or Spain. We elect politicians who we think will do the best job for us. If they fail then there's no one else to blame but them. For example, Theresa May made a mess of things. She and her chief negotiator are no longer with us. If Johnson makes a mess of it there will be consequences for him too. It's really quite simple. I'm surprised it doesn't work like that in Europe.

Anyway, back to the unanswered questions. In your opinion how many EU jobs losses are you prepared to accept in order to protect the single market?

Who are the "stupid brits" you refer too?
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 08:44 AM

You see here it works like this: If our politicians fail to reach an agreement that satisfies most people then we blame them. We don't blame people who live in France, Germany or Spain. We elect politicians who we think will do the best job for us. If they fail then there's no one else to blame but them. For example, Theresa May made a mess of things. She and her chief negotiator are no longer with us. If Johnson makes a mess of it there will be consequences for him too. It's really quite simple. I'm surprised it doesn't work like that in Europe.

Anyway, back to the unanswered questions. In your opinion how many EU jobs losses are you prepared to accept in order to protect the single market?

Who are the "stupid brits" you refer too?
Good morning Takahashi,

I don't know how people in all E27 countries cope with blaming somebody for failures and I doubt that it is all the same in all those countries. How do you know that "it does not work like that in Europe"?

About the lost jobs I doubt that the potential numbers of jobs is exactly known yet. Moreover IMO it is very unlikely that there was a maximum number of potentially endangered jobs computed by EU officials.

It will be very difficult to provide a number for you here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 08:53 AM

Hi

One of the great imponderables is how Brexit will affect both the UK and EU Economies.

Far cleverer people than me on both sides are doing their calculations.

At the moment nobody really knows, all we get is propaganda from both sides.

My view is that it will take some years for the outcome to be known.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Good morning Takahashi,

How do you know that "it does not work like that in Europe"?

Because that's what Solasch said in his post above. With regards to the number of job losses, I appreciate nobody knows the answer and it will be some time before known but my question was about your opinion on the acceptable job losses. Would you accept 100,000? Or would you consider that a price too high?
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Because that's what Solasch said in his post above. With regards to the number of job losses, I appreciate nobody knows the answer and it will be some time before known but my question was about your opinion on the acceptable job losses. Would you accept 100,000? Or would you consider that a price too high?
Hello Takahashi,

there are three voices in me and so three different opinions:

1. a very selfish personal opinion: I don't eat animals therefore I would accept 1000K job losses because I find it more important to regrow the worldwide fish population (and fish contains too much plastics anyway).

2. a less selfish but still personal opinion: 1000k job losses are way too much and have to be reduced.

3. a non selfish but personal opinion: this cannot be judged isolated from surrounding facts. Of course job losses are bad but if avoiding those means to make an unacceptable compromise, e. g. giving the UK free CU + SM access, then I think the EU has to swollow that pill and accept the job losses.

Best regards from Germany
Takahashi
United Kingdom

06-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hello Takahashi,

there are three voices in me and so three different opinions:

1. a very selfish personal opinion: I don't eat animals therefore I would accept 1000K job losses because I find it more important to regrow the worldwide fish population (and fish contains too much plastics anyway).

2. a less selfish but still personal opinion: 1000k job losses are way too much and have to be reduced.

3. a non selfish but personal opinion: this cannot be judged isolated from surrounding facts. Of course job losses are bad but if avoiding those means to make an unacceptable compromise, e. g. giving the UK free CU + SM access, then I think the EU has to swollow that pill and accept the job losses.

Best regards from Germany
Thank you. You say the EU will have to swallow the pill and accept job losses but will the Spanish orange grower, the German motor worker or the Dutch fisherman be willing to accept that compromise so easily. I don't think so and it may very well have consequences for European politicians the next time elections are held. Afterall, why would a person whose job has just disappeared vote for a politician who he blames for being out of work? Would you?

I know it will be similar here but there is a subtle difference in the event of no deal. Those who blame our politicians for letting "no deal" happen will be countered by those who will say our Government have delivered on the referendum result and they were prepared to do a deal with the EU but they were too intransigent and wanted to make it so hard for the UK that no other country will vote to leave.

So the two negotiationg teams have, obviously,* different goals and different electorates to please but I think our team has the easier task. Also, the EU are really scared about having an economic competitor on their doorstep. The only way for them to maybe influence this is by striking a deal - no deal will mean the leash is off and they will be powerless to do anything about it. That's the nightmare the EU want to avoid at all costs.
Takahashi
United Kingdom

06-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

One of the great imponderables is how Brexit will affect both the UK and EU Economies.

Far cleverer people than me on both sides are doing their calculations.

At the moment nobody really knows, all we get is propaganda from both sides.

My view is that it will take some years for the outcome to be known.
Indeed. And the effect of covid19 will muddy the waters even more. In fact it may muddy the waters to such an extent that the consequences of Brexit, good or bad, on our economy will never be known

Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top