Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 08:32 AM

A magpie has just hopped into my house!

My study is very close to my back door & I tend to leave most of my doors open. This morning I was using my pc, about 10 feet from my open back door, when a magpie hopped in and ate the food that I had put down for one of the cats earlier. He carried on eating whilst I watched & then flew off.

A few days ago, a wood pigeon came in through my open cat flap & went into my kitchen. He wasn't so calm and I had to catch him to release him in the garden.
I know they are just looking for food ( I feed them daily in the garden) but I am shocked that they just come into the house.

Last night a very handsome fox walked into the garden to eat the left over cat food that the birds normally eat. I hope he doesn't try to come through my cat flap!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 09:21 AM

Re: A magpie has just hopped into my house!

Thats so funny Twinks.... I hope the cats don't say hello that might be less amusing
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 09:30 AM

How nice Twink

Are you by any chance related to the Dolittle family?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Thats so funny Twinks.... I hope the cats don't say hello that might be less amusing
I was fascinated by the magpie, especially as one of the cats was sitting quietly on my desk also watching him.

when the pigeon came through that cat flap I was shocked but had to act fast to stop it damaging things in my kitchen or himself. His little heart was thumping but he seemed ok when he was released.

The fox was lovely so I put more food out for him. He hud whilst I was in the garden, but soon came back when I closed the door!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

11-05-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
How nice Twink

Are you by any chance related to the Dolittle family?
Not that I am aware of Mags, but the animals around here have certainly kept me entertained over this lock down.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 10:09 AM

Hi

How lovely Twinks.

Guy has his computers set up in the Conservatory.

The birds are fearless now and so close.

No Magpie, but an obese Woodpigeon he feeds crackers to.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 10:20 AM

I have no love for the Magpies here, they are a pair of vicious bullies to the smaller birds, who are now scared to come down to the Feeding Station because they get attacked. I bought 3 of the Pest Off Feeders in the hope they would go elsewhere because they are too big to be able to use those type of feeders, wee birdies only. BUT the scunners hang about just to have a go if they can, I chase them off when I see them and now the dog realises he can chase them off as well, but only them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

11-05-2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

How lovely Twinks.

Guy has his computers set up in the Conservatory.

The birds are fearless now and so close.

No Magpie, but an obese Woodpigeon he feeds crackers to.
It is such a pleasure when animals display a trust in you. 18 months ago I started feeding a stray cat who was starving. I call him Mr Grey & when I call his name he rushes under an Acer tree to wait for his meal. He will never be tame but he will now let me get within a metre of him.
It is also good for Guy to have a happy distraction from his health problems. Animals are often more therapeutic than people!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

11-05-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I have no love for the Magpies here, they are a pair of vicious bullies to the smaller birds, who are now scared to come down to the Feeding Station because they get attacked. I bought 3 of the Pest Off Feeders in the hope they would go elsewhere because they are too big to be able to use those type of feeders, wee birdies only. BUT the scunners hang about just to have a go if they can, I chase them off when I see them and now the dog realises he can chase them off as well, but only them.
The only creatures that steal the fat balls I put out for the small birds are squirrels, but they are very hungry during the summer months too.
I have no problem feeding any creature, if it is hungry. I feed the large birds at one end of the garden & the small ones closer to the house & I never see any aggression between them!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 10:51 AM

Your Lucky, I have a couple of ground feeders for the big birds, everyone mixed in well together and there was not bother with the feeding. Then last year this pair of Magpies arrived and they have caused nothing but bother ever since, they had a wee bird on it's back screaming in pain while they attacked it last autumn. I rushed out and rescued it, bunged it in a shoe box in the greenhouse under one of the trestles. It was there for a couple of days with food and water before it flew off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top