Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 09:57 PM

Retirement – good or not so good?

If you are now retired, or semi-retired are you finding it a good experience and anything like you expected or not?

For those who are not yet retired, are you looking forward to retiring or is it something you are dreading?

Personally I couldn't wait to retire, probably as my work was very intensive and stressful, it was shift work too. At 60 I semi-retired and then ten years' later full retirement was taken. To be perfectly honest I felt completely worn out.

My father hardly had any retirement, mostly due to bad health. I was determined to have something of a retirement, more than the couple of years he had anyway.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:24 PM

Re: Retirement – good or not so good?

I ceased salaried employment in 2000 and took early retirement on full pension having completed the number of years to qualify. For me it was probably the best move I ever made. I was 54 since then we've done loads of things, started and sold up a scutch of businesses, undertaken short contracts and commissions, and generally had a ball.

Gardening? Nah.

DIY? Nah, instead GSI (Get Someone In)

Travel? A bit but very selective now.

Hobbies? Stocks and shares.

Go back to work if I had the chance? Err, no.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:27 PM

I have been very happy in my retirement Baz, and have never been bored once.

No more de-icing my car early in the mornings, I am with my dogs more, I joined interesting classes, I meet up with old friends and have made new ones, I am always gardening, I've got nice neighbours, and no one tells me what to do any more.

The downside at first was, I missed people.
I missed the girls I worked with, they were a good bunch.
I was also very fond of some of the residents in the home I worked in, and missed seeing them.
It also took some getting used to, not getting a monthly pay cheque any more!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:29 PM

I allegedly retired at 60, but here I am, five years later still doing the odd electrical job. Mostly testing and electrical repairs, nothing major as it's a young man's/person's job. The money earned tops up my private pension but when I hit 66 next year, I'll be giving it up completely as no doubt I'll have to pay tax on my income and I've no intention of working for the Inland Revenue. I've paid enough tax in my time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:36 PM

I retired at 60 and was very relieved to be able to.

Marge 'retired' at 57 but, being a workaholic, she is still easily persuaded to 'help out' both at her place of employment and for other similar organisations.
Not that often, thankfully, so we have plenty of time together.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:37 PM

Never considered retiring, too much thinking time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:41 PM

I have been 'retired' for 12 years and it is fantastic
I have never been happier, I am free to do as I choose
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:43 PM

The worst thing l ever did was to retire. I don’t like it one bit and wish l was still working.
I missed being in the workplace and the camaraderie with my colleagues.

Being retired sort of puts you straight into the ‘old age pensioner’ category where you feel you are surplus to requirement.

I am sort of used to it now but l still feel l have something to offer in the workplace.

You might suggest, l volunteer. I did apply but gave up as the process had too many hurdles to jump and was an invasion of my privacy
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:44 PM

A liberated woman is always good news.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
The worst thing l ever did was to retire. I don’t like it one bit and wish l was still working.
I missed being in the workplace and the camaraderie with my colleagues.

Being retired sort of puts you straight into the ‘old age pensioner’ category where you feel you are surplus to requirement.

I am sort of used to it now but l still feel l have something to offer in the workplace.

You might suggest, l volunteer. I did apply but gave up as the process had too many hurdles to jump and was an invasion of my privacy

I also applied to work part-time too, as a 'Befriender' and visiting elderly or housebound people.
I remember they wanted me to do a day course on keeping myself safe when working alone and going into people's houses.
Then it all went pear-shaped, because the night before I was due to attend this course, one of my beloved German Shepherd's died. I was so distraught I couldn't think straight, and had to phone them and explain why I wouldn't be there.
They were really kind, and said they understood completely.

I always intended to go back to it, but time passed and I never did try again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top