Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 11:13 PM

Re: Yappy pups!

Actually, Mups, until C19 happened - they were both out at work all day and their children are teenagers - one at secondary school and one about to go to university. The pup has come into a four people environment and is used to being the star of the show. Good - from the point of view they have been there to welcome it and, hopefully, house train it - but - having been used to so much company - I am not sure how it will cope if we ever return to normal!
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

05-07-2020, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Good thinking, Mups, and a big "thank you" to everyone for listening to my rant and offering advice.

I feel a bit mean - moaning about it - because, as I said, they are such lovely neighbours in the main. Have to admit it surprised me that they would go for another large breed as our bungalows are not exactly palatial. The pup is a Samoyed - at the moment it looks like a white fluffy cloud with legs - but will grow to almost the same size as the Labrador.

Will see how things go over this week-end then, if no improvement, will have to say something - but gently.
I agree that you have to say something. You say you and neibors get along so this need not create any bad blood between you. I am speaking from experience as I have had yappy dogs and disgruntled neibors. Saying something will clean the air. Trust me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Actually, Mups, until C19 happened - they were both out at work all day and their children are teenagers - one at secondary school and one about to go to university. The pup has come into a four people environment and is used to being the star of the show. Good - from the point of view they have been there to welcome it and, hopefully, house train it - but - having been used to so much company - I am not sure how it will cope if we ever return to normal!

This is the exact scenario I have mentioned quite a few times recently Tabs.
These young dogs will either be left looking at the brick wall all day, or passed on when owners return home to find their wallpaper shredded, electric plugs chewed, and toileting everywhere!

So many people have done this while they have been furloughed, that the puppy farms sold out of 'stock', so have been importing litters from foreign puppy farms to flog.
This would make some poor little souls have three homes by the time they are 8 weeks old. No wonder they often so traumatised and damaged.
These disgusting places never had it so good, since DEFRA announced breeders could send pups out by courier!

Even then there haven't been enough to supply this new demand, and this accounts for the huge increase in dog theft now, especially dogs left out in gardens on their own for any length of time.

Problem was, many decent, licenced breeders already had litters or at least pregnant bitches, when lockdown was announced, so they couldn't allow prospective new owners in to choose or take their pup (or kitten). Hence DEFRA's courier idea.
Unfortunately it also gave the rogue breeders an ideal opportunity to sell fast and furious with no inspectors or visitors going along to check on them.

Rescues are already bursting at the seams because they haven't been allowed to let people in and they haven't been able to do any homes checks either.

But getting back to your neighbours, leaving an energetic youngster shut in with an elderly dog is much the same as a Great Grandparent babysitting a lively 3 yr old all day!

If they are not going to be there, I wonder how they will manage the 3 or 4 feeds a pup needs too, let alone house training.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top