Join for free
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 05:51 PM

I may have a Buzzard nesting in the large conifers that surround my garden!

I know this sounds strange, but I have seen one, or maybe two,regularly flying into my very large conifers, but not coming out again for a while. I thought they may be after other birds babies, but the pigeons don't seem bothered & I have heard no distress noises.

They are big beautiful birds, but my garden is already looking like a wildlife park! I have been feeding a hungry fox, my lovely stray cat, Mr Grey. There are so many rabbits that it looks like Watership Down & I have about 20 different kinds of birds here most days.... along with a pheasant who visits sometimes!
I am not complaining, but I am concerned that the buzzards will destroy my washing if they poop on it!

Does anybody have any idea why the Buzzards may have chosen conifers to nest in? When they fly no more than 12 feet over my head, it is a bit of a shock.... so please dont mention the film "Birds"!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:23 PM

Re: I may have a Buzzard nesting in the large conifers that surround my garden!

Crumbs .... if it's buzzards you'll have no wildlife left. Get those bunnies under cover.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Crumbs .... if it's buzzards you'll have no wildlife left. Get those bunnies under cover.

Not half Mort - and the injured cat! Their wingspan alone is about 4ft or more, I believe.

Twink, it seems be a bit late in the year for the start nest building now as from what I have read they usually nest build back in April?
I guess time will tell.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 10:29 PM

Your garden sounds great Twink .
You couLd rent it out for I'm celebrity get me lot of here !
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 11:12 PM

I may have a Buzzard nesting in the large conifers that surround my garden!
++
The wife walked out on my a while back, I was wondering where she would end up.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 07:30 AM

Yes they certainly are BIG BIRDS, we have a number of them in the grounds around my house & they do catch rabbits but, as I said, there are too many rabbits in the field so the farmer allows people to shoot them in the evenings. I much prefer a rabbit to become a buzzards dinner, than a target for people with guns.

Apparently they have no interest in cats, so Mr Grey will be fine. He returned yesterday and was a bit nervous after being captured for a few days... but he still knew his dinner would be under the Acer tree.

I also read that they usually nest in April, so it does seem a bit late, but I can't think of any other reason why such a big bird would want to fly into a hedge of conifer trees & stay there for a while. I bet Nom would have given possible reasons if he was still with us!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 09:28 AM

Your garden sounds so exciting Twink.
We have buzzards and kites in the fields near us .
They never come into the garden ( it’s only small) but I have had a sparrow hawk .
Hence the little birds tend to keep close to the hedges .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

06-07-2020, 10:09 AM

I saw a sparrowhawk, in the tree outside my study window, but I don't recall having seen one here, before. I think he may have come here because I have lots of birds nesting in my garden trees.
I been seeing the buzzards flying over my garden & the surrounding fields for about 10 years, but never had one move into my garden before.
A few years ago I was walking in the field, calling one of the cats in for dinner, & I saw a buzzard on the ground eating his catch. I was about 5 feet away from him, but he just ignored me & carried on eating.
I often wonder if the local wildlife view me as a different kind of wildlife but know I am no danger to them... as none of them seem bothered by my presence!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top