Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Re: Crossing Places Off Your List

I’ve travelled quite a bit but I’m not really a city person . I once had to go to Detroit and didn’t like it but I think there are dark areas in most cities and perhaps I only saw the dark side. I’ve passed through New York but never stayed so can’t really comment otherwise.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’ve travelled quite a bit but I’m not really a city person . I once had to go to Detroit and didn’t like it but I think there are dark areas in most cities and perhaps I only saw the dark side. I’ve passed through New York but never stayed so can’t really comment otherwise.
Several years ago, whilst visiting some of my relatives in the colonies, they took us to New York. I remember a rather early, and long, bus ride from Rhode Island.

One thing we had a look at was the Empire State Building. I distinctly remember two things: firstly, long queues; secondly, unbearable heat and, surprisingly, there was no air conditioning in the building, just some rather ineffective fans!

An impressive sight from near the top, but not something I should like to repeat. Not unless they've since installed AC, anyway.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Oh gosh, Bratti. I feel like I almost have to apologize for Detroit that is still struggling from the decline of US manufacturing, poor urban planning (and tear-down policies with abandoned buildings), and tax problems. There are good, fine people who are trying to turn it around, but Detroit will probably be an outlier for some time to come.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Several years ago, whilst visiting some of my relatives in the colonies, they took us to New York. I remember a rather early, and long, bus ride from Rhode Island.

One thing we had a look at was the Empire State Building. I distinctly remember two things: firstly, long queues; secondly, unbearable heat and, surprisingly, there was no air conditioning in the building, just some rather ineffective fans!

An impressive sight from near the top, but not something I should like to repeat. Not unless they've since installed AC, anyway.
Such a good turn of phrase .

Isn't it interesting how we are willing to put up with long lines (queues) and other inconveniences when visiting other places that we wouldn't tolerate in our own backyards? I haven't been in the ESB since I was four, mostly for the reasons you described. In the back of my mind, it's there, and I'll get around to it sometime.

I love going to Washington D.C., but am always taken aback that most of the visitors are from other countries - not here.

I suppose we all have a taste for the exotic. BTW, the Empire State Building must be the last place here in "the colonies" that doesn't have a/c. I'm forever half-frozen.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 09:38 AM

I wouldn't want to go to London again as I'd be worried about getting a knife in my back.
If you are a teenager, black, carrying a knife yourself, while visiting the wrong social housing estate, after dark, then yes you had better be careful.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
If you are a teenager, black, carrying a knife yourself, while visiting the wrong social housing estate, after dark, then yes you had better be careful.
If this problem is entirely gang related, it is a good thing. Let the buggers kill each other and rid the country of people we don't want.

I'm not so sure, though, because aren't innocent non-gang members also involved?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:24 AM

If this problem is entirely gang related, it is a good thing. Let the buggers kill each other and rid the country of people we don't want.

I'm not so sure, though, because aren't innocent non-gang members also involved?
Some mistaken identity going on too.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

09-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Some mistaken identity going on too.
Unless they are recruiting petite old ladies, then I can run the streets naked at 2 AM without worry.

In fact, that might be the solution - sending gang members screaming for the hills .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I know many will disagree with me here but I found Las Vegas not really to my liking and I would not want to go back. It's fine if you are a gambler, which I am not and the only thing left is eating, eating and eating. Perhaps if I was single, I might feel differently about it.
We really enjoyed Las Vegas, neither of us are gamblers but we were that week lol. We didn't play big, only small change but it was fun. We broke even every time too. We even renewed our wedding vows in the Elvis Chapel, so fun yet meaningful. Yeah, we sure had a fab time in Vegas.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 09:45 PM

I must confess to having similar degenerate thoughts.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top