Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Re: should we rename oxfam - oxsham ?

I've always only really supported small charities, unless I was buying from one of the shops, oxfam is one I avoid they charge like a wounded bull for cheapest items. I'm much more likely to go into mind or local hospice shop.

I have been unhappy about many things I've heard over the years about larger charities, it's really all out there if you look for it, they aren't doing as much good as they should be able to with the vast sums they deal with.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've always only really supported small charities, unless I was buying from one of the shops, oxfam is one I avoid they charge like a wounded bull for cheapest items. I'm much more likely to go into mind or local hospice shop.

I have been unhappy about many things I've heard over the years about larger charities, it's really all out there if you look for it, they aren't doing as much good as they should be able to with the vast sums they deal with.
I think the charity shops charge far too little for the goods on display, on the whole.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I think the charity shops charge far too little for the goods on display, on the whole.
Really ? They are normally selling second hand stuff 50p or so for a top seems fair to me, many people rely on them when they don't have much money themselves.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Really ? They are normally selling second hand stuff 50p or so for a top seems fair to me, many people rely on them when they don't have much money themselves.
50p is ridiculous, that is pence. The charities are there to make money, not to give the goods away.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
50p is ridiculous, that is pence. The charities are there to make money, not to give the goods away.
They are also there to help the community they live among IMO we have poor people here need second hand items at cheap prices. The people can afford new don't tend to be the ones going into the second hand shops.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 03:39 PM

They are also there to help the community they live among IMO we have poor people here need second hand items at cheap prices. The people can afford new don't tend to be the ones going into the second hand shops.
I agree entirely. I don't give to the larger charities either any more. I give my unwanted goods to a friend who runs a charity shop for her church. The church is in a poor part of the area and local people benefit from my friends efforts, keeping both clothing and household items to a minimum. She also benefits her church too, the money going to essential repairs.

I think some people are unaware that people in their local areas are in need of charity too. And charging pounds for a top is rather defeating the object when you can buy a new top for a few pounds in stores like Asda or Peimark.
oldfool
london
oldfool is male  oldfool has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
But isn't that a good thing if they can sell it for £12 and make a profit?
Otherwise why do we donate stuff to charity shops?
the £6 is profit as they got it for free and donated - so in all due resect it has been overcharged.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 03:56 PM

Indeed. We have people who need charity here and are being priced out of charity shops.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Hmmmmmm!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:36 PM

Why should any charity shop charge new prices for used clothing and other items? Surely they are better off charging 50 pence or 1 pound an item and selling more, that they are charging new prices for one item which people won“t pay. I wouldn“t pay new price for a second hand dress, or whatever, when I could get it new for the same price.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top