Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2012, 02:23 PM

doom and gloom

I stopped watching the TV or reading the paper 7 mnths ago it was all doom and gloom, seems nothing's altered, today, naked man eats another man's face off, German girl kept as slave, Parents questioned over death in fire of 6 children, parents sentenced in case of boy imprisoned in a bunker or something. Gave up reading after a couple of lines. What has happened to this world it seems to be every single country vicious,savage, hate filled monsters, is no one happy anymore if not why not??
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Re: doom and gloom

It does seem like that sometimes, I think, Hazel. One thing though, we are bombarded by "news" these days. Modern methods of commuication make information so accessible to large numbers of people all over the world and the press know that "good news" doesn't sell as well as "bad" news. Maybe that's why our perception seems to be the that the world has changed - things we never heard about or realised we now get to find out about pretty quickly and easily.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2012, 10:20 PM

I tried to avoid the news too Hazel, but it's in your face all the time, with me it's the other old lads talking in the pub every day, the wife and her sisters talking in the kitchen, you just cant get away from bad news. I believe even the Monks have computers now so that rules out going into a Monastery (Which I have seriously considered) or in the case of a woman, a convent, you just cannot have peace anymore I'm afraid.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I tried to avoid the news too Hazel, but it's in your face all the time, with me it's the other old lads talking in the pub every day, the wife and her sisters talking in the kitchen, you just cant get away from bad news. I believe even the Monks have computers now so that rules out going into a Monastery (Which I have seriously considered) or in the case of a woman, a convent, you just cannot have peace anymore I'm afraid.
well it's got that bad for me I've joined Godvine they have mostly happy stories on there and if it's about death the person died happy so that's OK. They have lots of animal stories too.
Must say it sounds very noisy around you.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2012, 11:48 PM

I spent the weekend in the countryside with no television on in the house we were staying, and only music and song in the pub in the night time, the landlady hates the news too and only looks at the soaps, and a happier woman you could not meet. Here in the city it's all around you, I honestly think the real country Folk are more contented and happy with their lot.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2012, 08:03 AM

I spent the weekend in the countryside with no television on in the house we were staying, and only music and song in the pub in the night time, the landlady hates the news too and only looks at the soaps, and a happier woman you could not meet. Here in the city it's all around you, I honestly think the real country Folk are more contented and happy with their lot.
I'm sure if you go to Gogharty's Bar (Oliver St: John) you'll find a few happy souls Jim matey, particularly after they've all had a few pints of Guinness.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

30-05-2012, 08:12 AM

me and pal just spent 4 wks up in the hills of Lacashire without TV or newspapers, just the lap top and although we could have had both we chose not too. Did the same thing twice last year too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 02:30 AM

I haven't switched my TV on since Christmas 2010, and I haven't bought a newpaper for about 5 years or more now.

I can avoid it, and I do. I just don't want to know any longer.

I occasionally look at BBC News online, but only read what interests me i.e. science, discoveries, health, etc.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 07:19 AM

It is all due to the negativity of the people in this country.
Start the day with music and look for the positive things of life like Mother Nature, happiness comes from within not from what others do or tell you.

I have never bought a newspapers for over 20years, listen to the news fully once a day when I feel that I need something to let me know I am on the right road to enjoy life.

Like Stanley Holloway's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxP_9RNjKBQ
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

02-06-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
It is all due to the negativity of the people in this country.
Start the day with music and look for the positive things of life like Mother Nature, happiness comes from within not from what others do or tell you.

I have never bought a newspapers for over 20years, listen to the news fully once a day when I feel that I need something to let me know I am on the right road to enjoy life.

Like Stanley Holloway's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxP_9RNjKBQ
My friend and I seperated on a busy market I couldn't see her but I was buying a top when she appeared. She said knew I'd hear you laughing then I could find you. If I can make others laugh then I'm not doing much wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top