Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Re: doom and gloom

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
It does seem like that sometimes, I think, Hazel. One thing though, we are bombarded by "news" these days. Modern methods of commuication make information so accessible to large numbers of people all over the world and the press know that "good news" doesn't sell as well as "bad" news. Maybe that's why our perception seems to be the that the world has changed - things we never heard about or realised we now get to find out about pretty quickly and easily.
The question one has to ask is "Is that a good thing"

I am more and more comming to the conclusion that it is NOT such a good thing, I rather resent some dopey media reporter standing in front of a camera and telling us what he (or she) thinks is important, it's got to the point now where we are seriously facing information overload and I for one have had to develop a technique of 'switching off' when some journalist starts spouting words like "The whole world is concerned" etc. etc. when what he talking about is some place I've never heard of, people who I know don't give a dam about me, and most likely a political situation which has been ongoing for half a century or more and will likely continue for another half century regardless of whether I watch the report or not.

Really, what is the point ??????????????????
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
The question one has to ask is "Is that a good thing"

I am more and more comming to the conclusion that it is NOT such a good thing, I rather resent some dopey media reporter standing in front of a camera and telling us what he (or she) thinks is important, it's got to the point now where we are seriously facing information overload and I for one have had to develop a technique of 'switching off' when some journalist starts spouting words like "The whole world is concerned" etc. etc. when what he talking about is some place I've never heard of, people who I know don't give a dam about me, and most likely a political situation which has been ongoing for half a century or more and will likely continue for another half century regardless of whether I watch the report or not.

Really, what is the point ??????????????????
I'm not at all interested in what's happenig abroad or how many are starving, and whilst I feel sorry for the dying children, their parents shouldn't have them if they can't feed them. Our government sends aid over it doesn't reach them but we've got no money left for our own and that's not right.This started off as such a good day so they can all tickle off for me, I'm taking the turkey round to son's for dinner tomorrow, and I'll eat it with a clear consiounce.
Sorry rant over for today.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Losos said:-
"The question one has to ask is "Is that a good thing"
I think Losos was referring to information comunicated to us from all over the world, quickly and effectively by sophisticated modern methods relayed to us on a 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week basis for those who wish to know about it.
I believe that this has got to be a positive thing and we have a need to know and should be informed of what is going on around us. So, my opinion is that it is a good thing. We don't live in isolation anymore - we can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend things are not going on. Much of what happens in other places throughout the world will have an impact on our lives.
The tricky and very important thing is to be aware of the motives and biases of the communicator and to be able to analyse and discriminate reasonably accurately. This sorting and interpretation process will vary depending on an individual's perception, beliefs, their own biases, what is important to them, etc. etc.
I believe that the media for their part have a duty be ethical, reasonably unbiased and honest in their reporting and presentation. There should be consequences for them if they are not because they have an huge amount of influence and, therefore, a great responsibility.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Losos said:-
"The question one has to ask is "Is that a good thing"
I think Losos was referring to information comunicated to us from all over the world, quickly and effectively by sophisticated modern methods relayed to us on a 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week basis for those who wish to know about it.
I believe that this has got to be a positive thing and we have a need to know and should be informed of what is going on around us. So, my opinion is that it is a good thing. We don't live in isolation anymore - we can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend things are not going on. Much of what happens in other places throughout the world will have an impact on our lives.
The tricky and very important thing is to be aware of the motives and biases of the communicator and to be able to analyse and discriminate reasonably accurately. This sorting and interpretation process will vary depending on an individual's perception, beliefs, their own biases, what is important to them, etc. etc.
I believe that the media for their part have a duty be ethical, reasonably unbiased and honest in their reporting and presentation. There should be consequences for them if they are not because they have an huge amount of influence and, therefore, a great responsibility.
while it may be a good thing to report things going on in the world, give equal time to the good and pleasant things as they do the the bad things but they don't do they oh no. Once people would say oh well it doesn't sell papers now they say they only give us bad news. Media wake up people want something to cheer them up not make them feel more depressed. Don't tell me there are no good and happy things cos I know there are and they're much more interesting.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 08:09 AM

In the light of recent events (Leveson enquiry), clearly this is not happening.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

In the light of recent events (Leveson enquiry), clearly this is not happening.
That's what was on my mind when I posted Uncle Joe.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

03-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
while it may be a good thing to report things going on in the world, give equal time to the good and pleasant things as they do the the bad things but they don't do they oh no. Once people would say oh well it doesn't sell papers now they say they only give us bad news. Media wake up people want something to cheer them up not make them feel more depressed. Don't tell me there are no good and happy things cos I know there are and they're much more interesting.
You are quite right Hazel. I am sure there are plenty of cheerful news items to report, but I think it is very true that people sit up and notice "bad news" more than good and it's all about ratings and selling news.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 09:38 AM

That's what was on my mind when I posted Uncle Joe.
Two great minds think alike
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

03-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Two great minds think alike
careful UJ up here there's another line to that.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-06-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
careful UJ up here there's another line to that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top