Join for free
Page 10 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I personally have no beef whatsoever with the English People. I just want to be out from under Westminster's thumb. England knows what's best for England, and Scotland knows what's best for Scotland, likewise with Wales and Ireland.
What I don't understand however is why some on here make such a song and dance about it, and call us stupid, and unable to cope!!!!!! WTH? How dare they, what's it to do with them anyway if Scotland becomes separate and looks after her own interests, it's no skin off their noses, it takes nothing away from them, so why are they jumping up and down about it?
My thoughts exactly about us that voted Leave in the referendum being accused of being stupid for voting so. I voted for what I believe is for Britain's best interests.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:53 PM

Morti, I think the EU and Scotland is another story. An awful lot of Scots voted to come out of the EU and I don't think they'd be too happy if the SNP tried to take us back in.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:57 PM

Fair point ... I did feel at the time of the referendum that the Scottish people were saddled with the further consideration/headache of Scottish Independence rearing it's head again ... as was highlighted by how quickly Sturgeon reared her head immediately after.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 03:00 PM

She be First Minister and have a lot of power, but she doesn't speak for the whole of Scotland.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I can appreciate how the Scots feel ..
Scotland cutting the tie with England ( and other cohorts ) isn't too dissimilar to Britain choosing to leave the EU.

No one likes to feel restricted by or beholden to a master.

But .. when I read the Remainer's gloomy picture of how Britain can't survive economically without the EU .. I wonder what makes Scotland think they can be truly independent?

Surely they'll end up applying for EU membership in the hope they'll become a member state who wangles more out of the EU than they contribute, (always assuming they can meet the criteria for membership).

Has a familiar ring doesn't it and I can't see their gain .. they'd become a minor non-entity whereas at least they have more powerful representation down in Parliament and strong ties, historically , with the English...
Not always nice ones, granted ... Mary, Queen of Scot's head is a case in point and lying around somewhere.
Mary Queen of Scots was fundamentally French having spent her childhood in France up until her marriage at the age of thirteen. She couldn't speak Scottish or English when she was returned to Scotland as part of the marriage deal. Scotland for the most part was at that time a French dependency and the French saw Mary's move to Scotland as a chance for her to get on the English throne after her husband died and therefore once more be a Catholic country and part of France. The Scottish nobles colluded against her in their own interests and when she appealed to the French to let her return to France they refused because of her former mother in law was the truly nasty Catherine De Medici queen of France.

Mary appealed for help from Elizabeth 1st as they were cousins but Liz sensing an attempt at her crown had her imprisoned in a Sheffield castle for fourteen years after which she was executed for treason on trumped up charges. Even her then adult son James refused to help her fight her execution.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 03:08 PM

She was a bit of a tragic figure wasn't she. Remembered more for her disastrous love life than inability to grasp politics.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

25-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Aye, the poor lass used as a pawn in many political intrigues.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I personally have no beef whatsoever with the English People. I just want to be out from under Westminster's thumb. England knows what's best for England, and Scotland knows what's best for Scotland, likewise with Wales and Ireland.

Seems odd to me that Scotland has its own parliament as does Northern Ireland but England doesn't. The English are under the tyranny of the national government in Westminster without their own voice looking after just their interests.

If anybody has the right to whinge surely it is the English? When is England going to get its own parliament?

Not to mention the poor Welsh who only get Prince Charles.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Seems odd to me that Scotland has its own parliament as does Northern Ireland but England doesn't. The English are under the tyranny of the national government in Westminster without their own voice looking after just their interests.

If anybody has the right to whinge surely it is the English? When is England going to get its own parliament?

Not to mention the poor Welsh who only get Prince Charles.
The English have their own Parliament, it’s called Westminster.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

26-08-2018, 11:30 AM

They do? Then explain how that works to me.

Specifically English and not British.

Page 10 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top