Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Re: Another Virus warning

I wonder why people who never ask for advice always insist on giving others advice? Could it be that they think they don’t need advice but everybody else does?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I wonder why people who never ask for advice always insist on giving others advice? Could it be that they think they don’t need advice but everybody else does?
Well Jem ya see its like this - they don't ask for advice because they're full up on the stuff, after taking so much advice down the years and googling away - now, they're full up, they feel the need to get rid of most of it, to clear their head, don't ya know - it won't stop there though, they have pursue the quest of knowledge - otherwise they'd end up with an empty 'ead ................
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DragonsRealm ->
That is all true and Realist you seem like a very smart man to me ,many of your post are informative and good reading,THANKS.
Same for me too
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I'm extremely happy being in the "disable JavaScript" camp...
I've just gone back to using Mozilla Thunderbird after using Windows 10's own email app for a while. In Thunderbird, emails can be opened in plain text or simple HTML. Both ways disable JavaScript. I didn't do it for this reason but more that the W.10 email app doesn't stop all remote image content from downloading.

The problem with letting images show (download) is that it lets those sending the emails know that they have succeeded in getting the recipient to open their emails. This includes commercial companies and spammers alike. I feel this might lead to even more advertising or spam emails. Perhaps better to block images, or read in plain text, if you don't mind e-mails not looking so pretty.

Thunderbird is set up for IMAP and with the option not to download emails to the computer. This setting means that only the email headers are downloaded from the ISPs email server. Click on the headers to open the message, which then opens in (at present) simple HTML.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...#Original_HTML

Regarding the mention of the virus in the original post, I don't think it hurts to mention such things, even though most people know that clicking on attachments is dangerous. In this case, the post has also lead to other information about how emails could compromise computer security. Many people probably aren't aware of this and it doesn't hurt to post about that either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 12:07 AM

It wasn't my intention to cause controversy in any shape of form folks, and it is also unlike me to lose me rag.
I just felt enough was enough as it wasn't the first time I have been hassled by this person.

Anyway, I've done my bit, and let people know as best I could, so I'm leaving it at that.

Thanks for the thanks.(if that makes sense).
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 01:13 AM

Thank you Mups for thinking of others and warning people.

As regards Mr. Realist, I thank him for his information and advice.

I would make a suggestion to Mr. Realist though, to perhaps phrase his posts a little kinder and to also read other peoples' posts more carefully before he embarrasses himself by getting things wrong in any reply he may make.

Under the circumstances an apology to Mups wouldn't go amiss, would it Mr. Realist ? Or are you one of those people who do not apologise for anything, ever?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 07:48 AM

I'd like to apologize to Mups on behalf of Realist who in reality has a terrible juvenile stammer and stutter and has sort over the years to cover this with a profusion of verbage!!

I'm very sorry Mups - really I am and trying to be Real is very hard at times but I just cannot help myself from correcting everyone and always crossing the tees and dotting the eyes!!

My wife thinks I am a nerd!!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have just received a new computer scam warning.
Here is it:

Please be aware of a new computer virus called "Goner". It is spread via email. The subject of the email simply say "Hi" while in the content it says " I saw this screen saver and immediately thought of you". The executable file attached is call "Gone.scr.". Provided you do not click on the executable file your PC shouldn't be infected but please be aware that if you do, the first thing the virus does is to disable your anti-virus so you are not protected.

The virus is spreading very quickly so don't be caught out. back up your files frequently and keep your Christmas pictures safe.

Thought I'd pass it on to you folks, just incase.
I did have a dodgy looking e.mail yesterday, but got rid of it quickly, and did a scan quick.
Its not a new virus its at least 2 years old(2013) and if you have decent Virus detector on your computer it would block it if you clicked the link.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There are various reasons why your statement is wrong but if we head into that we inevitably end up with a standard discussion on the merits or not of enabling/disabling JavaScript on one's PC. Given the plethora of sausage fingered users present on this forum who naively trade sexy looking functionality for basic security and control, I'm not seeing much mileage in having that discussion here.

I'm extremely happy being in the "disable JavaScript" camp, and I'm equally happy to NOT trust mega-corporations and give them control of my PC. The past disasters of email systems and software like Adobe Flash are proof positive that trust in these companies is misplaced. Currently their nefarious activities are mostly centred around tracking and logging everything you do, every webpage you visit, every person you contact and/or befriend. All done "invisibly" without users knowledge if they are naïve.

JavaScript security in terms of emails is wholly dependent on exactly which email system is being used. Most common email systems today, ensure JavaScript is not allowed to be processed when you view an email but it depends on the email system. There is of course no guarantee that this will remain the case. Even so, there are still dangers.

A person just viewing a malicious email which contains a hotlink to another website might well be determined not to click that hotlink, but, many users still use touchpads rather than a mouse and most of those users will testify that at times, they inadvertently clicked on something they absolutely had no intention of clicking on when the moved the pointer using the touchpad. It just happens, it's a part of the perils of using a touchpad. Often it's the adverts they haplessly click on when moving the pointer. That can be harmless or it can be disastrous depending on the link.

If you never open the email to view it in the first place, you can never inadvertently click on a malicious hotlink. It is that simple.

Security in every walk of life, whether PC's, home security, car security etc is 100% about discipline. It's not about compromises, or maybes, or a bit of this and a bit of that. You determine the safest approach and you adhere to it rigidly regardless of whether it is inconvenient and a nuisance.

Hence, never open any email from a sender whom you do not know. Just delete it. Security is our responsibility, not the responsibility of some remote company whom we have nothing to do with.
Sophist nonsense! God! you could bore for England.

There is no chance of email readers of whatever persuasion ever again enabling java script it has been turned off since last century. Any anti virus software will protect you from the other sins.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I'd like to apologize to Mups on behalf of Realist who in reality has a terrible juvenile stammer and stutter and has sort over the years to cover this with a profusion of verbage!!

I'm very sorry Mups - really I am and trying to be Real is very hard at times but I just cannot help myself from correcting everyone and always crossing the tees and dotting the eyes!!

My wife thinks I am a nerd!!

You are so chivalrous and thoughtful gummy. A silly sod - yes, but a chivalrous and thoughtful one.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top