Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 05:50 AM

Re: Windows 10 is driving me nuts!

Installed W10 update this morning.
It took close to 3 hours, but no problems.
Everything still working well, the way it did in the past.
I must say, I did have my fingers crossed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My new second-hand refurbished PC came with Win 10 professional and first thing I did was get rid of all the bloat including that ridiculous `live desktop` feature, stopped all the ETs and disabled auto-update. It's now set to inform me of updates only and I decide what to update, not M$

The `Start` bar now works like my old copy of Win 7 and is faster as a consequence.
Windows 10 is certainly better after a bit of setting up.

About Updates. They tend to come in packages of numerous fixes that can either be stopped one way or another or accepted. What's in a package can be seen by going to the Microsoft page linked to below (updates to version to 1903)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4505903

I never notice much difference after an update is installed but everything in that long list of changes must have been brought to the attention of Microsoft somehow for them to issue a fix for it. Perhaps it depends how the computer is used as to whether a bug is noticed or not.

On those grounds, I could stop updates because I haven't noticed any difficulties or bugs. On the other hand, I see no harm in accepting the update packages as they are released. They are general improvements to the entire system as far as I can see. I feel that not accepting recommended updates is like me saying to Microsoft that I know more about their operating system than they do. Much as I would like to think this was so, it isn't very likely.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Installed W10 update this morning.
It took close to 3 hours, but no problems.
Everything still working well, the way it did in the past.
I must say, I did have my fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by mart ->
Windows 10 is certainly better after a bit of setting up.

About Updates. They tend to come in packages of numerous fixes that can either be stopped one way or another or accepted. What's in a package can be seen by going to the Microsoft page linked to below (updates to version to 1903)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4505903

I never notice much difference after an update is installed but everything in that long list of changes must have been brought to the attention of Microsoft somehow for them to issue a fix for it. Perhaps it depends how the computer is used as to whether a bug is noticed or not.

On those grounds, I could stop updates because I haven't noticed any difficulties or bugs. On the other hand, I see no harm in accepting the update packages as they are released. They are general improvements to the entire system as far as I can see. I feel that not accepting recommended updates is like me saying to Microsoft that I know more about their operating system than they do. Much as I would like to think this was so, it isn't very likely.
I've been running Windows 10 1903 on two PCs since 2/7/19 and have have not encountered and major problems (or differences, either).

I agree with mart's approach .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Okay Omah and Mart, I've just installed the new win10 update, it took just over an hour and it's got them off my back......So I hope you guys are right or there'll be trouble.........
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Okay Omah and Mart, I've just installed the new win10 update, it took just over an hour and it's got them off my back......So I hope you guys are right or there'll be trouble.........
I hope all is well for you and your computer this morning and there'll be no need to put the boxing gloves on.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 10:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d9FY3LpR4E
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 10:28 AM

My laptop is playing up now.
Won't let Flash player work, takes ages starting up. My screensaver or whatever it is is very blurry behind the password bit.
I have done a scan for viruses etc, nothing showing up.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

14-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My laptop is playing up now.
Won't let Flash player work, takes ages starting up. My screensaver or whatever it is is very blurry behind the password bit.
I have done a scan for viruses etc, nothing showing up.
It looks as if the last update you did was a major version upgrade from W.10 version 1809 to version 1903. I say this because the blurry picture on the password screen was something I got after this version upgrade. It is not a fault but has been done by design. I didn't turn this effect off but it is possible to do so. Have a look at this page:

https://www.addictivetips.com/window...on-windows-10/

If that last update was from version 1809 to version 1903, that would be why it took such a long time to complete. It was a very big update. The bad news is that there has been an update since then and it may be that you will eventually need to do this one as well. This update turns off the blurry password screen by default (or it did on my system).

I don't know about Flash Player but what browser are you using? The only browser that has Flash Player included now is Microsoft Edge. If you use a different browser to that, Flash will need to be installed again. Flash is thought to be quite a security risk and Firefox won't enable it by default in their latest version.

Flash isn't used much these days because of its security implications. The standard now used is called 'HTML5'. All videos on YouTube play using HTML5. In short you may find you don't need Flash Player at all. I don't have it installed and haven't missed it.

If there is something that absolutely requires Flash, go to the site using Microsoft Edge and see if the Flash content plays.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It looks as if the last update you did was a major version upgrade from W.10 version 1809 to version 1903. I say this because the blurry picture on the password screen was something I got after this version upgrade. It is not a fault but has been done by design. I didn't turn this effect off but it is possible to do so. Have a look at this page:

https://www.addictivetips.com/window...on-windows-10/

If that last update was from version 1809 to version 1903, that would be why it took such a long time to complete. It was a very big update. The bad news is that there has been an update since then and it may be that you will eventually need to do this one as well. This update turns off the blurry password screen by default (or it did on my system).
I've installed the latest update but not re-booted yet so I'll keep my eyes on the (formerly) blurry password screen .....

I don't know about Flash Player but what browser are you using? The only browser that has Flash Player included now is Microsoft Edge. If you use a different browser to that, Flash will need to be installed again. Flash is thought to be quite a security risk and Firefox won't enable it by default in their latest version.

Flash isn't used much these days because of its security implications. The standard now used is called 'HTML5'. All videos on YouTube play using HTML5. In short you may find you don't need Flash Player at all. I don't have it installed and haven't missed it.

If there is something that absolutely requires Flash, go to the site using Microsoft Edge and see if the Flash content plays.
Flash and Chrome:

https://www.digitalinformationworld....sh-player.html

It’s a well-known fact that Adobe will no longer be supporting Flash Player by the end of next year (i.e: 2020). Its development will be brought to a halt. When Adobe made this announcement nearly two years ago, Google was quick to announce that it would also be casting out Flash eventually. Surprisingly however, it was revealed that by July, Chrome will be completely disabling Flash for all sites, in addition to issuing a warning about the Player’s end, scheduled for next year.

Ever since Adobe made the game changing announcement, Google has been adamant on making its users trust and use other technologies such as HTML5 instead of Flash Player.

One thing that should be mentioned here is that Google is also making it difficult for its users to pick Flash. A couple of days ago, Chrome stopped running Flash supported content by default. In order to allow a site to run the player, permission should be granted to it manually and this process needs to be repeated every time Chrome is relaunched.

Interestingly, Flash Player will be fully disabled, beginning with the new Chrome 76, slated to release in May and become fully functional by July. In order to run Flash content, first of all it will have to be re-enabled in the browser’s Settings. Then, the access will have to be granted to each site separately for running Flash content on Chrome.
So that's the end of "Neave Asteroids" for me then, I suppose .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Just re-booted - Blurry password screen still there so turned "Transparency" OFF - Re-booted - Instead of blurring, password screen goes darker but I prefer that .....

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top