Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2014, 05:14 PM

Re: Do You Still Go To The Library?

When I first left school I worked for a (British) insurance company about two minutes walk from our State Reference Library,
All my lunch-times and several hours after work each day were spent there -for years.

Acquired a broad, free-ranging, undisciplined education through random reading.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 03:08 AM

I too still use the local library and I also borrow ebooks from it, a service I can use from home.

I don't share HTBs somewhat jaundiced view of the library service, the library Internet seems to be mainly used by schoolkids and seniors. YouTube has a very strict policy on content bordering on the absurd, nothing much for paedophiles there and the library itself filters undesirable material/sites. I suspect the books themselves contain much more lascivious material that that available on the council's internet.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:32 AM

I use library on a regular basis, as well as books, i can hire DVD`s cheaply, and use the computers and print and scan items for a nominal price. Also a good selection of newspapers and magazines to be had.

A lively corner for younger children's events from storytelling and singing and making music is well attended and occasionally authors usually local will have a day taking and book signing.

Adult use includes just meeting up for a chat and coffee to work search related events, the nearby Job Center fail to deliver this.

My son was allowed to choose books from the age of 2, we did not try to influence his choices too much. All in all im i favor of them.
Jeana
Oregon, USA
Jeana is female 

01-11-2014, 11:28 PM

There's a library book on my coffee table right now. I picked it up at the same time I picked up 2 movies there. I don't have an electronic device on which to read books and it's not really important to me to obtain one, even though every so often at work someone feels I should borrow theirs to see what it's like, and buy one. I like libraries, they're clean and quiet! Our small town has a nice 2-story (no pun intended!) building with a large variety of books, magazines, newspapers, movies to check out, computers, book discussion meetings, other meetings are held there, and authors come to speak. Also each week they run a movie for people to come in and watch, and they make popcorn!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 11:33 PM

Never went as we were too far away from the nearest one and no library buses down our way either at the kennels.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Have to say no, I get my books from thrift shops.
I buy a weekly magazine and we buy papers every day, so no particular need for library . However, I do think it would be a shame if they packed up.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2014, 07:11 PM

Did use the local library until it closed so no not now, would have to travel to the next one. I use a Kindle and buy or get free books from Amazon.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top