Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:45 AM

Re: You’re invited for dinner but told to worry about bringing anything.

Originally Posted by Bratti ->

The flowers I’m going to pick just before going. These wild lupines and wild irises I’m hoping to use to make a beautiful bouquet.
Good idea. If they turn out to be the wrong thing, at least they haven't cost you anything.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Nice of them to invite me. Don't think I'd have gone either.

We were invited to a house warming party many years ago, three doors up & went, but the lady of the house was a vegan & the food was awful, tasteless & dry, we drank a lot instead. At least they weren't TT.
Couldn't help wondering as she had invited so many carnivorous neighbours she's not supplied us with food we could actually enjoy, not meat, but even egg sarnies would have been nice or fish/prawns etc.
We were never invited to another party there.
This would definitely be a situation where I’d bring something of substantial substance. My man just couldn’t handle that. He’s a huge meat and potato man and I wouldn’t be able to watch him try and stomach that type of stuff without bursting out laughing.
Sometimes some people need a nudging hint.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Good idea. If they turn out to be the wrong thing, at least they haven't cost you anything.
It’s not the cost as much as the fact that I don’t want her feeling like she needs to go out and purchase store bought flowers when I invite them. Women tend to do things like this all the time and I don’t want her to feel obligated or uncomfortable in the least. I’m probably over thinking this big time. Lol
I’m so excited about going though and was quite happy to have been asked.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

18-06-2021, 11:54 AM

I’m happy to see that most of you suggested a good wine.
That makes me feel much better about my decisions.
Thanks again.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Hence my suggestion of taking a takeaway menu

We have friends a bit like that. Not vegan, but somehow they manage to make terrible food. Think they have a "thing" about not seasoning things, and it'd be a bit rude of us to put a load on at the dining table.
I tried the dairy free quiche, it was horrible. Maybe as you said, she was just an awful cook, even as a normal one.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

19-06-2021, 05:23 AM

I wish I’d taken more of your advice and bought chocolates instead.
The native lupine was a great idea in theory only. When I picked a huge bunch of them and sat in the car all proud of myself, I suddenly looked down and noticed all the bugs crawling over me so the flowers are in a vase on the front deck. I did , however, laugh my head off when all was said and done.

Other than that, the night was fantastic. We met another couple who we now know and we are going to keep in touch. There wasn’t a dull moment in the entire evening. Of course the wine snuck up on me since I’m not much of a drinker. We have decided we are going to buy a couple of All Terrain Vehicles (Atv’s) to go Atv’ing with them.

It’s been a while since we’ve been with people and it felt so good to be socialize once more. The last dinner party was put on by my sister in law before we moved. Soon she’s coming to visit us and we can’t wait to have our own dinner party.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. They were good.
Tomorrow I’ll show you a pic of the flowers. Right now it’s too dark.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I tried the dairy free quiche, it was horrible. Maybe as you said, she was just an awful cook, even as a normal one.
We went through a phase recently. Using the same cookbook, we'd take it in turns to cook 4 portions (2 for them and 2 for us), and drop off the ready-to-go-in-the-oven meal to each other once a week. Seemed to make sense since prepping another 2 portions would be time and money efficient.

All the stuff we cooked was lovely.

All the stuff they cooked ended up in the bin.

Same recipe book, following recipes to the letter, some of which we'd already tried before so we know what they were meant to taste like.

How is it even possible to mess it up? But they did!!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

19-06-2021, 04:49 PM

Here is the vase full of wild lupines on our front deck

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	478AC4AA-B67A-4546-8266-502796430255.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	16002  
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 07:46 PM

I would take flowers. They are special for the host to enjoy when everyone has gone home.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 08:12 PM

A bottle of Scotch if you intend staying the night.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top