Join for free
Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 10:48 AM

Re: Racism

Riots of 2011....Reminding of how easy Riots can erupt in Today's Society. Social Media allows incidents to travel in Seconds around the World, not just locally anymore..
This was the main factor for the speed that the Riots spread to so many Places, including my birth Place, Croydon.
Started by the death of Mark Duggan...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Mark_Duggan

Photos of Croydon...

Plenty of horrific Photo's of many Places that came under the 'Fire' of the Riots of August 2011...

Wiki write up is very long, but it does give a fairly accurate Account in my view.
Covering many aspects., the conclusion at the end sums up whom was to blame the most....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
For people who do not accept what mohammed claims to have been told unless living under an ALWAYS temporary treaty there are only two options. For "people of the book (Christians or Jews) they are tolerated if they follow the sharia, remain subjugated under mohammadans, and pay the Poor Tax. Other than "people of the book" the choice is stark. Convert - or die.
As an atheist, I assume that I'd come under the second option.

But I have a plan!

Yes, of course I'll 'convert'.
I'll say all the necessary things; I'll perform all the necessary actions (whatever they are). So then I'll have been converted.
I'll be obliged to attend the mosquito on the prescribed occasions, bow forward with my arse in the air and mumble along the various words which I probably don't understand.

But I'll still be an atheist!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:25 AM

It seems that the police agree with me that the grafitti attack wasn't racist :
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/marcus-ras...063525687.html

Hurling abuse at someone who happens to be black is not the same as hurling abuse because they are black. Not everyone seems to understand this!!

There's only one thing that Rashford says here that I think is unhelpful:

“The communities that always wrapped their arms around me continue to hold me up. I’m Marcus Rashford, 23 years old, black man from Withington and Wythenshawe, South Manchester.”
IMHO, the cause would be far better served if he had omitted the word "black".
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
Riots of 2011....Reminding of how easy Riots can erupt in Today's Society. Social Media allows incidents to travel in Seconds around the World, not just locally anymore..
This was the main factor for the speed that the Riots spread to so many Places, including my birth Place, Croydon.
Started by the death of Mark Duggan...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Mark_Duggan

Photos of Croydon...

Plenty of horrific Photo's of many Places that came under the 'Fire' of the Riots of August 2011...

Wiki write up is very long, but it does give a fairly accurate Account in my view.
Covering many aspects., the conclusion at the end sums up whom was to blame the most....
It was very sad to see that old shop go up in flames. Unfortunately it is what black rioters tend to do. For some reason they like to destroy the area they live in as some form of punishment but to whom?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=Dextrous63;2127608]

Hurling abuse at someone who happens to be black is not the same as hurling abuse because they are black. Not everyone seems to understand this!!

I understand that...hurling abuse is just that, many of us do that at times, we seem to lose touch on being able to think rationally, it’s like a switch is turned on, then out comes the clap trap.

Where as hurling abuse because of their race or anyone else’s for that matter, is racial abuse.

Like a few colleagues calling me a “ white bitch”..
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

I understand that...hurling abuse is just that, many of us do that at times, we seem to lose touch on being able to think rationally, it’s like a switch is turned on, then out comes the clap trap.

Where as hurling abuse because of their race or anyone else’s for that matter, is racial abuse.

Like a few colleagues calling me a “ white bitch”..
Indeed.

Ironically, racists are missing a trick here by using colour related terms in their abuse.

If they avoided using such words so openly, they'd be able to hurl abuse with plausible deniability of it being racist.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It seems that the police agree with me that the grafitti attack wasn't racist :
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/marcus-ras...063525687.html

There's only one thing that Rashford says here that I think is unhelpful:

IMHO, the cause would be far better served if he had omitted the word "black".
I agree. It rings of playing the race card for support.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:23 PM

They all want to be treated equally, and I think they are by the majority of people.
If a white person commits an nasty crime & a black person does a similar crime, aren't they all convicted of the same offence & serve time in the same prisons?
Don't they all get loans at the same interest rates as people of a different colour?
In hospital don't they all get the same level of care?

I see some members here that don't like the French or the Germans... but are they accused of racism?

I don't think everybody can like everybody, no matter where they come from or the colour of their skin. The laws on racism were introduced to make sure they were treated fairly, but you can't make everybody like them!

At school I never heard anybody be racist to the coloured children, and if they had been they would have been disciplined! Sadly there will always be ignorant people who form opinions or peoples colour , rather than their personality.
Indian people who own shops rarely employ a white person...are they also being racist?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

16-07-2021, 12:33 PM

It just seems to me that if you want to be treated as an equal, highlighting a somewhat obvious difference is a bit of a funny way of going about it.

Consider the two statements:

1/. I am a man, so give me that job

2/. I am a black man, so give me that job.

Do you feel a different sense of emotion for either one? Which one would you consider less antagonistic?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It just seems to me that if you want to be treated as an equal, highlighting a somewhat obvious difference is a bit of a funny way of going about it.

Consider the two statements:

1/. I am a man, so give me that job

2/. I am a black man, so give me that job.

Do you feel a different sense of emotion for either one? Which one would you consider less antagonistic?
If I were looking for a black man, and he said "I am a black man, so give me that job, please", I wouldn't consider his request to be antagonistic. If I were trying to avoid employing a black man, option No.1 would probably be his best bet, but again, "please" would make a difference.

Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top